Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Hi all, I got a few pics of my few JG's. I hope you can help me figure out if I have pullet's or roo's..... Oh, one of these may be my one lone
Blue egger? sorry, I cannot tell which is which yet. They are abt. 5 weeks old.

That's what I figured Herman, But thank you for trying to help me! I do appreciate it very much! I will try again later on when they are a little older.
wink.png

Hi all, I got a few pics of my few JG's. I hope you can help me figure out if I have pullet's or roo's..... Oh, one of these may be my one lone
Blue egger? sorry, I cannot tell which is which yet. They are abt. 5 weeks old.

I have been watching mine fight in an effort to see comb development in the four week old australorp and make a judgement on the others in the pen from that angle

Hi Ocap, Thank you. I also have some BA and if they mature the same way with roos and hens, then I should be able to figure out which is which. I only have 4 and I sure hope I get one hen and one roo at least! I don't even care how many other roos I get!
wee.gif

Moo 've over fella's there's a new sheriff in town.. ...

oh please forgive the ol'west talk..
for some reason i thought i'd name the rooster's after Law and Order kind of men..
Festus ... He's doing what he's hired to do..
Pete... is the certified.. Watch'em .. Dog..
I thought i might have trouble.. but not at all.. he's been real good.. and i use the clicker training.. with him..
and we would sit together.. watching them.. click.. treat... ; ) Watch'em -

Festus.. the rooster.. He's been Introduced a bit at a time over the last week..
to the now 3wk old chicks .. and .. today. we took the training wheels off.. < no fence between them >
he's doing a good job..

... did you see that leaping Salmon Favorelle .. in there s/he jumped right at the roo..

above.. just hanging at the new place to check out today..
learnin to perch..
.....and after a long day at play..
mom makes us a bran and DE bath.. to clean up in .. <below>
but we just got to sleep there...

back in the house.. they get a little snack.. and a drink
and peck in the bran.. ( i got the big sac of bran .. to feed meal worms.. but its doing double duty with bedding for the chicks too )
and boy do those chicks smell good.. I can tell who's been sleeping in the bran.. ; )
and some where in that mob are 6 bJG's chicks ..maybe just out of frame..
thanks.. for looking at my brag book.. ; )

I have just set 12 JGs in the bator today :) cant wait! What sizes do they get to? Ive read they average about 10lb or so but its hard to picture the size compared to my girls. How much bigger (if at all) will they be bigger than my Orpington hens and cockerel. Thanks

I am trying desperately to find a fool-proof way to tell my BA from my JG 9 weekers. I have a lady coming this weekend to buy 6 pullets and 1 roo of the BA's...the little bands we used for the JGs when my son brought them home didn't work, they fell off (or were pecked off) within days of putting them on. I would think since JGs tend to mature slower, that my BA would be more feathered, more filled-out looking? I really don't want to get rid of my JGs by accident but I really can't find a good difference to spot :/

Back
Top Bottom