Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I bought 4 black Jersey Giant chicks from a local hatchery 8 weeks ago. Three turned out to be roos. They are good sized and have normal/complete feathering, although one has a deformed comb. The fourth, I assume, is a hen. She's significantly smaller, but the odd thing is her feathers. While all of our other 8 week youngsters are completely feathered, she is still fuzzy and untidy looking. On closer inspection, the only near-normal feathers are on her head and neck, plus some pin feathers. Even her tail is just fuzz. It's just down, it seems. Has anyone ever seen this before? Could it be she's just really maturing that slowly and they'll grow eventually? In the picture, she's the one in the middle, next to a Rock and a Guinea of the same age.

I had one that didn't feather completely out until week nine. In fact she still looks a little ragged in the rear. Just taking her a while to mature is all.

So I am VERY interested in getting some Black Jersey Giants! I like how big and pretty they are but I have never had this breed. Are they pretty friendly and are they good egg layers?
Mine are very friendly and are great egg layers of big eggs. I've not had a mean roo yet. They all are kind of relaxed. I like them.

I had a day 18 hatch? just went to add the water and pull the turner and had a chick almost out. It fell out of the shell as I put it back in. I am used to day 22-25 for Giants. The same Hova 1588 incubator but this is a dry hatch, 26 % humidity. So far it is better than my last hatch at 55% day 1-18 that had mushy chicks dropping in hours or days.I am hatching Jersey Giants and Ranger/Rangers this hatch.

I had a day 18 hatch? just went to add the water and pull the turner and had a chick almost out. It fell out of the shell as I put it back in. I am used to day 22-25 for Giants. The same Hova 1588 incubator but this is a dry hatch, 26 % humidity. So far it is better than my last hatch at 55% day 1-18 that had mushy chicks dropping in hours or days.I am hatching Jersey Giants and Ranger/Rangers this hatch.
never have had a day 18 in the turner but I have had great sucsess with the dry method of incubation

Back
Top Bottom