Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I wanted to share my sandhill preservation birds hatched in april 2016. I kept two males, one blue, one black. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on them - I would like to show one day. It looks like the females require quite a bit of improvement in the yellowing on the feet and the shape of the backs.

Anyone know a good source for hatching blue or black giant eggs?
I'm in central NC if you know anyone in that area.

I'm a newbie and decided to get a couple of Jersey Giant chicks to add to my RIR's. I've read that they are suppose to be docile and non-flighty but mine seem super super skittish and "flighty". All they every try to do is fly. They seem extremely skittish compared to the way my RIR chicks were at their age. My husband says they seem neurotic haha. I didn't know if they were like this just because they are chicks and will chill out when they get older? They are about 3 weeks old now. I added their pics because they were cute and you can't not love those little faces. :) Trying to figure out if their skittish behavior as a chick is a breed trait or I just got a couple that are that way.

Thanks!

Here is a link to several videos I shot of my BJGs between days 3-60 so you can compare behavior if you'd like. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv5YwwO7VnP9TBuKN8aKQeHCS5FiQIpzl

I would not really call them flighty at any point although they do startle like any chicken. That being said, when small they were not afraid to try and fly up onto things and they surprised with their ability to get good vertical jumps. Once they lose the peep fluff though and start growing there is really no way for them to fly at all. Try getting down on their level versus reaching down for them or looming over them. If you are calm and careful they will overcome their fear and grow curious of you. Best wishes!

Awesome! Thanks so much! i am going to check this out. Yeah, I try to be slow and speak softly but they just seem super neurotic at times. I didn't pick these guys up the day they arrived at the feed store though. I went in 3 days after and they all seemed super spooked in the brooder. I think they are slowly getting better. It's just taking a lot longer then our RIR chicks. Thanks so much again!

I posted these pics on the What Breed or Gender forum to see what breed my chick is. Someone said possible White JG. I got it from TS with 9 White Leghorn chicks. Supposed to be 10 WL pullets. He/She has green legs with yellow on bottom of feet. The other chicks pecked and bullied it, so we've separated it until it's healed. Could someone here who has had JG chicks tell me if He/She is indeed a White JG?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom