Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Yes they are gentle giants. We gave my SIL one of our extra roos as he fell in love with them He has that bird so spoiled that he comes into the coop and the bird waits to be picked up and carried around. My daughter is always complaining about how he goes out to the coop ans spends hours talking to his bird lol. My giants freerange and I have birds of all sizes and ages and they all get along fine. A few of my giant hens have taken to flying into my silkie pen to hide from the boys, the boys fly into the pen and dont bother the silkies either. Funniest thing I have seen was my grandsons little bantam cochin trying to mount one of my giant hens. He grabbed her neck and hung on for dear life as she took off running across the yard. Of course he went flying. But hey cant blame the guy for trying.lol

Yes, mine are SUPER friendly and easy to handle, Hennypenny.

My current blue rooster is HUGE. He's big from the side when you look at him, but to me, the most impressive is when you stand over him & look down at him - he's extremely wide, and just an all-around super big guy! I need to get some pics of him.

I sent out two batches of test eggs (one to bluemoon420 who posted on this thread) and they are all hatching well, too. I'm super pleased with my Jerseys this year, and look forward to continuing to improve them!!

Can't wait until I get some! Gotta have the perfect place for them though....

I'll post some new photos later this week. They develop a lot slower than the other chicks I have in there with them. Some are just starting to get wing feathers now. They are getting big though
smile.png

Bluemoon

Is it pretty easy to tell the roosters from the hens early on?

I think we have a rooster. He (assuming its a he) likes to stretch his neck out really really far and stand up super tall. If this chicken is going to be 30 inches in a normal stance, and then stretches his neck out, he could be as tall as I am. (or very close to it) LOL

We can't tell much yet at all. We can easily tell them apart from the other chicks because they much slower to develop, but as for what sex they are there is just no way yet.
smile.png

Bluemoon

I have a batch of juveniles that just turned 12 or 13 weeks, and I am just now certain of gender. You can tell around 8 weeks on some of them, but most it's iffy until they're older.

I can't wait to see how yours are growing, Chelsea!

Quote:
Cass pointed out one the splashes has very thick legs. Much thicker than the others and larger comb. That one is also the first one to come over and investigate. It also likes to just sit on your arm, hand, leg. One of the blues she named Ziggy, and she thinks that one is a girl. She likes to sit in the egg turner near the brooder for some reason.
lol.png
One of the two possible olive eggers is almost fully feathered. That one also likes to just sit on your arm.

Bluemoon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom