Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I am getting a petition with all the neighbors signing. They all have had trouble with the older dog and now she's training her pup!
I am charging him with the lost eggs, averaging 10 a day -over $10.00 a wk.
I was going to give my daughter the 6 wyandottes for a gift - now nothing.
My health has suffered with the grief and efforts to find more adult australorps. I found a site online that sells show birds. Australorps go for $70.00 a pair and $125.00 shipping!!! I think I'll go into the business. I can't imagine any of his "show birds" would be better looking than the ones I had. Maybe he trains them somehow. How do you train a bird?
I haven't tried to find any wyandottes. They have a personality of their own, wandering alone, but they knew how to protect themselves in hiding. Two made it that have to be caged in a kennel with no grass or worms to forage.
I did find a neighbor with a gun. He WILL shoot if they come on his land again. They always go to a couple of the neighbors to place their feces there.
I anyone knows of adult Australorps for sale, I would appreciate knowing! Thanks

I've got a 10 acre pasture for my horses which has electric fence all the way around - 5 strands of it (3 stands electrified). It's not that expensive in the long run.

Good thing you are keeping good records of your losses. That will come in handy!

I think I'd mentioned that I had several Black Giant eggs I was incubating from a breeder in NE Ohio. He took the BB at a very large show down in Ohio last fall, and I was VERY impressed with that K. He was not the biggest Giant of all of them shown, but had the very best type. I'm pretty excited to watch them grow out. Hatch day was yesterday; it wasn't a fantastic hatch (11 hatched out of 27 eggs), but you just never know how they'll turn out. Still, I'm pleased as punch to have 11 of them, and hoping one or two will be exhibition quality that I can add to my line to increase the vitality of the bloodlines.

Hi Im new here and I LOVE JGs! I want to have one ir two as pets but I want to hatch them and raise them. I want the black ones does any know where i can purchase just a few hatching eggs? I dont want more to be over run by chickens as i have other chickens and one roo that we started with. The jgs will have special treatment lol. I live in WI and i dont have anyone to go in on an order from a hatchery. Only looking for maybe 4 eggs tops. Any help would be much appreciated!

I am getting a petition with all the neighbors signing. They all have had trouble with the older dog and now she's training her pup!
I am charging him with the lost eggs, averaging 10 a day -over $10.00 a wk.
I was going to give my daughter the 6 wyandottes for a gift - now nothing.
My health has suffered with the grief and efforts to find more adult australorps. I found a site online that sells show birds. Australorps go for $70.00 a pair and $125.00 shipping!!! I think I'll go into the business. I can't imagine any of his "show birds" would be better looking than the ones I had. Maybe he trains them somehow. How do you train a bird?
you may not have wanted an answer.. but.. watch.. at you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?hl=...ken&biw=960&bih=539&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1

learn from Karen Prior and her folks..
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1906

I'm going to try some thing.. it worked so good on my dog - he really likes it.. and misses our daily - treat sessions.. _ and it worked so good.. ( for the dog. ) chicks.. come this mo.. we'll see <grin>

Thought I would share some of my Black Jersey Giants.

Here is a picture of my rooster

Here are a few more of the others.

And one of my younger rooster

Nice birds Clay!
Thanks, there are a few things I am going to have to work on with them, but I believe I can work with them. I have only had them around a month or so, and still need to work with them to get them used to me. I also have 6 real young birds, not as young as your 8 dayers, but under 3 months. I am waiting to see how they come up. Also setting 30+ eggs tonight from my, posted, birds. I am hoping, as you know, to add some Blue to my flock next year, and plan on running the bator constantly this season.

Hello! I am new to JG's and would like a little advise on a coop / run for them. I have 4 straight run chicks which I am going to take some photos of and maybe you can help me sex them.

I have been around normal chicken but have no clue what type of coop/run to make for these guys.

Hello! I am new to JG's and would like a little advise on a coop / run for them. I have 4 straight run chicks which I am going to take some photos of and maybe you can help me sex them.

I have been around normal chicken but have no clue what type of coop/run to make for these guys.
I am getting my first WJG in June, from other contributors: the Cocks need at least two feet to stand up straight and hens need a nest box 18 inches by 18 inches

They're just like other chickens just a little bigger than most in terms of needs. I've had blacks, whites and blues and loved them all. As ocap said a slightly larger nest box is helpful but I had a black that would cram into a 12 incher with a BO on several occasions.

Back
Top Bottom