Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

My smaller Jersey's (2) are laying light colored Medium eggs but mostly the 10-13 Lb girls

lay XL or Jumbo....Here's a pic of my scale and it always hit's bottom with most it goes to 30oz, they weigh between 30oz & 33 oz...

Has anyone compared the Jersey Giant to the Barnevelder? What are the differences? Both are huge with yellow legs and slow growing. The obvious difference is the Barnevelder appears to have some Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red type coloring bred into a Jersey - not sure how you would tell them apart otherwise.

Anyone on here had any experience with these breeds to give us the details of what distinguishes these breeds and which would be preferable in your opinion and why? Main reason I have avoided the jersey thus far is my coop nesting boxes are almost certainly too small for an 18 pound behemoth.

Here we go again. I have a broody Hen. I Know this for sure by the attack and noises she made when I slipped some warmed ceramic eggs under her. The problem is she kicked all the hay out of the nesting box and it is a small box from tractor supply. The last time she or her sister did this she smashed eggs being so large or plain clumsy.I have some new born ranger chicks but I don't want to move her to another coop, I am afraid she would break or not accept them and kill them. Any thoughts experience or wisdom would be great.

Here we go again. I have a broody Hen. I Know this for sure by the attack and noises she made when I slipped some warmed ceramic eggs under her. The problem is she kicked all the hay out of the nesting box and it is a small box from tractor supply. The last time she or her sister did this she smashed eggs being so large or plain clumsy.I have some new born ranger chicks but I don't want to move her to another coop, I am afraid she would break or not accept them and kill them. Any thoughts experience or wisdom would be great.
My only thought is that sometimes if they have just started to set,they are not ready to take chicks..............
All you can do is try and watch her........good luck

I am currently building my coop and just thought that the chicken door will need to be bigger for JGs. Because I have never had them before, I'm not sure how big it should be. Any suggestions?

Mine is 8lbs, so small for a JG, but she fits through the pop door okay. Where I feel bad is that I have 12" by 12" nests and she FILLS the thing. Her tail feathers get all frayed when she lays. So you might want to make those a tad larger. Also, she needs a bit more runway to get up onto the roosts at night. But then I have a tiny 3' by 4' coop for just a few hens in my backyard. If you are building out a larger coop, that may not be an issue.

Certainly if you want to build your pop door a few inches taler and wider, it wouldn't hurt and I think your JG's would appreciate it.

I am currently building my coop and just thought that the chicken door will need to be bigger for JGs. Because I have never had them before, I'm not sure how big it should be. Any suggestions?

Mine is 8lbs, so small for a JG, but she fits through the pop door okay.  Where I feel bad is that I have 12" by 12" nests and she FILLS the thing.  Her tail feathers get all frayed when she lays.  So you might want to make those a tad larger.  Also, she needs a bit more runway to get up onto the roosts at night.  But then I have a tiny 3' by 4' coop for just a few hens in my backyard.  If you are building out a larger coop, that may not be an issue.

Certainly if you want to build your pop door a few inches taler and wider, it wouldn't hurt and I think your JG's would appreciate it.

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate being able to make these changes now.

I like to keep "at risk" new chicks in their own brooder for safety. I had some 2 week olds in the brooder and got some new day olds and carefully integrated them watching them for a long time to ensure they were integrated safely - I was lucky one of the 2-3 week olds adopted them as her own babies and protected the new babies from the other 2-3 week olds.

Langshans are listed as up to 32 inches tall and Jerseys are larger than that but derived partly from Langshan genes with those long legs. Chickens are quite capable of ducking to get through doorways but the standard 12" x 12" is not going to work for Jerseys at all. I read somewhere that most folks do nesting boxes in the 18x18 size but I think the width and length are only part of the dimensional concern as they are super tall birds you'd also want their "doorways" to be more like 24 inches tall or even 30 inches I think. So I would say a doorway should be 18W x 24H minimum with an option for taller height doors if you can fit them in your design.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom