Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Hello,
Just getting started in my journey with the Black Jersey Giants. I bought some 3 1/2 month olds this past Saturday (8-24-13). They are the Heritage BJG's orginally from Maria's Jersey Giants.

Hello,
Just getting started in my journey with the Black Jersey Giants. I bought some 3 1/2 month olds this past Saturday (8-24-13). They are the Heritage BJG's orginally from Maria's Jersey Giants.
thumbsup.gif
That's great! Maria's JGs are certainly quality birds! Congratulations!

Yes
[COLOR=000080]Yes, that is exactly my plan!  I had the hardest time finding some JGs out here in South Texas...finally found a small farmer who is raising them as well.  So, I hope to start working with these chicks and bring them to SOP.  Wish me luck![/COLOR]

Yes very hard to find good JG or JG at all in Texas. Mine are from an individual in Terrell that only raised the blacks. My May chicks were shipped from Taylor Hobby Farm, really wanted the blue black and splash. I have 22 JG chicks and 14 ameraucana chicks from them. So my plan is to sell my 1.5 yr old black Roos, cull some of the older hens and add my new pullets and breed with the THF new Roos. Picking my one real nice slash cockerel then blues and maybe one black. Next spring will be fun hatching out all three colors of chicks of both breeds.

Yes
Yes very hard to find good JG or JG at all in Texas. Mine are from an individual in Terrell that only raised the blacks. My May chicks were shipped from Taylor Hobby Farm, really wanted the blue black and splash. I have 22 JG chicks and 14 ameraucana chicks from them. So my plan is to sell my 1.5 yr old black Roos, cull some of the older hens and add my new pullets and breed with the THF new Roos. Picking my one real nice slash cockerel then blues and maybe one black. Next spring will be fun hatching out all three colors of chicks of both breeds.
thumbsup.gif
It sounds like an exciting plan! Out of my 5 chicks, I can already tell that two will be going into the pot when it comes time. They do not seem to be developing as well as the others. The others are already showing thick little legs that will eventually become the foundation of their heavy bodies.

:thumbsup   [COLOR=0000CD]It sounds like an exciting plan!  Out of my 5 chicks, I can already tell that two will be going into the pot when it comes time.  They do not seem to be developing as well as the others.  The others are already showing thick little legs that will eventually become the foundation of their heavy bodies. [/COLOR]

Don't be in to much of a hurry to judge JGs, I am amazed at how big some of my hens are at 1.5 years old that at 6-8 months I started to cull due to size. The giants mature and grow slow just like giant breed dogs and horses. With time some will really surprise you. One breeder told me to wait on culling some of my first hens and now I'm glad I did. Also the slower growing ones don't have as much of a tendency to have leg issues.

Back
Top Bottom