Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

@Framac At what age do your giants start laying? I still have to put nest boxes on their new breeder coop. I got them June 2 so I really don't think they will start laying this winter?

I bought the eggs off eBay localish.
The Black one was the first to hatch and is very much bigger than the White and black.
They are over a week old now and are scratching about in the brooder, what would you recommend on the floor at this point, I have used paper towel till now ?
Thanks in advance
Dan

I bought the eggs off eBay localish.
The Black one was the first to hatch and is very much bigger than the White and black.
They are over a week old now and are scratching about in the brooder, what would you recommend on the floor at this point, I have used paper towel till now ?
Thanks in advance
Dan

pine shavings seems to be the best for me so far ive used pine shavings grip mats and corn cobs im back to using the pine because the corn cobs stink more then the poo and the grip pads are only so/so they work but they get pulled up by the chicks and i got tired of fixing them

What happens when you breed a white and black?
I've always heard the white is dominate and most will come out white, some will be black. I've been told if I have a problem with the size of my white giants I can breed them to a good breeder quality black to increase their size, and just cull for white. Doesn't look like I will have a problem with size so far though, they are twice the size of my sussex same age( I think at 21 weeks when I weighed them?) leg and feet bones very thick, but they only weigh a pound more then the sussex. I guess it's true what they say, they build their frame first and then put on weight. The giants run like dinosaurs, kinda funny.

The three pullets should be enough for your projects. They are fantastic layers at 6 months old. Sadly my black jg pullets got killed last night. I hope yours make it and grow out well

Ouch! Do you know what did it? I came home to my largest pure white, correct leg color pullet dead outside of their run a month ago, didn't know what did it cause it was gone. Then I saw a hawk trying to get another
somad.gif
it didn't hurt any of them. All runs have bird netting on them now...
It wouldn't have upset me so bad if it got one of the ones I planned on culling, no the best one. Still have three really nice pullets though.

Back
Top Bottom