Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Hello all. So last year i found my one and only JG dead beside the A/C unit from unknown causes and she was only maybe 4-5 months old. Well fast forward to about a month and a half ago and i found a local breeder who i purchased two chicks from. Both chicks have significantly larger tails than the bird i had last year and one chicks tail is so large it is to the point of looking like a Japanese Bantam tail(slightly dramatic but still). Is this normal? Would pictures help? Is this a good trait? Bad trait? Any help here?

A tail that long would not be to the standard for the breed.

A tail that long would not be to the standard for the breed.
Thanks. The two roosters growing up with these two pullets is a Cream Legbar x Marsh Daisy and a Blue Isbar so the offspring really won't matter anyways. Just wasn't sure if these two would ever grow into their tails.

Unfortunately I tried to buy from that person on ebay and they shipped eggs about 3 weeks after I purchased. The eggs were very old and huge air sacs. Do you or your freind ever sell eggs because I would be interested in those that look like yours.

We are looking get some more chickens. We currently have Sex-links, Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds. I was looking in to giants. Are they a lot bigger than other chickens? Do they have to be kept in a different area due to size or can the be in with the rest of the flock?

We are looking get some more chickens. We currently have Sex-links, Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds. I was looking in to giants. Are they a lot bigger than other chickens? Do they have to be kept in a different area due to size or can the be in with the rest of the flock?

Mine make all the rest in my mixed flock look small Lol. They are very calm, don't seem to ever mess with the others, not aggressive at all. I don't know if I'd recommend having a Giant rooster with small hens, though I have.
I have one Giant hen that I don't plan on breeding in my laying coop, no roosters, with four other breeds, she's the calmest one even though she dwarfs them.
All last fall and winter I had my red sussex and giants together, separate now so I can collect hatching eggs. My alpha giant would go after the sussex cockerels if they tried playing tag with the hens, never amounted to much, sussex out ran him easily, giant cockerel runs like a slow moving dinosaur, didn't seem to want to fight anyway, just kept them away from the hens. With two giant cockerels and two sussex cockerels in that pen none ever lost a feather. My giant pullets have been laying very good, pretty sure everyday this winter, and lay large eggs. The giant pullets are bigger than my sussex cockerels.
I don't make friends with my chickens at all and I still easily caught my giant cockerel recently to see how much he weighed. Never tried it before and he only half-heartedly bit me once.

Last edited:
Hi anybody knows how to make jersey giant? What breed should i cross to make jersey giant? Thanks
th.gif
Brahmas, Langshans, and Javas, hundreds of hatches, probably thousands of culls, many cullings, over a number of years, and who knows how the mixes went? Who to cross when and what to cross next?

I recommend a Jersey Giant rooster over a Jersey Giant hen.
thumbsup.gif
That would be too easy wouldn't it?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom