Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Several years ago I bought chicks from a breeder in Florida. Photos they had showed birds that looked HUGE paid a fortune for the chicks. I have BIG Barred Rocks. Males 9-10 lbs females 8-9. My rocks dwarfed these "Giants". I have been at 3 JG Nationals last several years. I have seen VERY FEW the size of Mrs Millers when I was at her place in the 80s. But, although stature is important. Weighing them is as big an issue.
Most Giant breeders do weigh their birds, and at shows 90% fall within the range for the Breed (Non Hatchery birds). While a lot of Breeders would love to get their hands on a 16-17 pound cock bird, that bird does not fall within the standard for the breed, and is at as big a fault as an undersized bird.

My Cock Birds from last year were between 12-13.5 pounds, and a lot of the breeders do fall in that range. Hens ran 8.5-11.25, pullets and cockerels slightly lighter. At the shows, my birds were not the biggest. A few other breeds have more frame/height, but less mass.

Talk about your early bird,lil one is 4 days early!

Just legs not going straight, last time. I turned it down this time too.

I had quail eggs ready to hatch when these eggs went in, that's probably why the time jump. I turned it down 1 degree too.

Last edited:
Just legs not going straight, last time. I turned it down this time too.

I had quail eggs ready to hatch when these eggs went in, that's probably why the time jump. I turned it down 1 degree too.
I may have given you half information. The temp I quoted (99.5) is for forced air incubators. I don't actually know the temp needed for still air incubators. You might have had a good temp there.

http://www.mariasjerseygiants.com

I just read her website. In business since 1977. Has a lot of good information and is a very reputable breeder, from much earlier posts. I learned quite a bit about my 2 little black jersey giant chicks there (in addition to BYC!). She is a breeder, again, and comes highly recommended. Check it out!
wee.gif

My 3 week old babies!
jumpy.gif

Karen

http://www.mariasjerseygiants.com I just read her website. In business since 1977. Has a lot of good information and is a very reputable breeder, from much earlier posts. I learned quite a bit about my 2 little black jersey giant chicks there (in addition to BYC!). She is a breeder, again, and comes highly recommended. Check it out!:weee My 3 week old babies! :jumpy Karen
Maria is awesome! I purchased hatching eggs from her this year. I have 6 from her line, 2 month olds and 1 month old.dang are they big!

Back
Top Bottom