Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
Quote:
Do you have any photos of your silkies that you can post as examples (i,e, A., B., etc.) so that other BYC viewers can make their own comparisons of different breeders?

Quote:
I am glad to hear about you bird. I had a neighbor who stated that a neighbor's dog ended up killing about 50 of her chickens over a period of 4-5 years and his only response was, "dogs will be dogs". He never offered to stop the dog or pay for her loses. Interesting !@#$%%)(@&(*

I a getting Splash Jersey Giant Chick this Friday, but I won't be able to post pics of it until Monday or so.
smile.png

Quote:
Do you have any photos of your silkies that you can post as examples (i,e, A., B., etc.) so that other BYC viewers can make their own comparisons of different breeders?

No good ones, that would work for comparative purposes, anyway.

Quote:
I am glad to hear about you bird. I had a neighbor who stated that a neighbor's dog ended up killing about 50 of her chickens over a period of 4-5 years and his only response was, "dogs will be dogs". He never offered to stop the dog or pay for her loses. Interesting !@#$%%)(@&(*

Well . . .he was right actually, but "owners should be owners' too, and take responsibility for their animals behavior. I used to live next to a a Commercial Nursery (Trees and plants) and the owner had a Beagle he used to let run. I'd bought 100 leghorns and the dog got in the pen a few times. The first time, I just said "my bad" since the pen was kinda hastilly assembled. Three birds gone. The second time after, I'd shorn it up, the dog tunneled in and killed about four or five birds. I caught him red-handed, dead chicken in mouth. Ran him out of the pen and popped him and made a big fuss about the chicken. A nice "people" dog, so I essentially scolded him and sent him on his way. I called the nursery and asked the owner if he could keep his dog tied or penned or whatever, as I had chickens and he was digging in. He apologized and said he would.
Lasted about three days. I saw him twice looking at the pen, I yelled NO! and he scurried off. I called again and he matter-of-factly said he'd try harder . . .ticked me off, the attitude. But hey, I gave it a shot.

Well a few days later, I got home and found about 70 dead chickens in the pen. It was the dogs tracks all over the pen. I grabbed a few dead chickens, and marched on over to the nursery. Numerous customers were milling about, and I laid those bloody carcasses right on the counter in front of him. "Ya need to get them off my counter" he said smarmily. I said, "Well they're yours, you can move'em if ya want. Ya owe me ten bucks for those two, and I need to count the other ones before I'll have the total"

Anyway, we argued a bit, he denied it was his dog since I didn't see happen . . .and low and behold, his dog comes walking into the nursery, half covered in blood, with white chicken feathers still clinging to his head. "Enough proof?" I said.

"This jerk just looked at me and said "I ain't paying for your chickens." I said two rather strong words (My language was a bit "cagier" then) right in fronlt of all the customers (He was busy too) and marched back around to my house.

Then . . . I started heaving dead chickens. Over the fence. Onto his roof. Into his parking lot, all over the danged nursery that I could reach. (I have a pretty good arm) I WAS TICKED. Long story short: Cop didn't blame me a bit, went back to try to keep the guy from pressing charges, ten minutes later the guy came over and asked how many birds I'd lost, pulled out his checkbook, and wrote a check. Never apologized either . . . . so I snagged his dog and gave it to a buddy of mine who liked him. (He was a nice dog, but for the chicken issues)

The officer thought it was the funniest call he'd ever been on, heheh. I got lucky that he'd been raised on a farm.

ADDENDUM: I saw no humor in my chickens being killed. But after a few days of me "cooling off" . . .from the officers perspective, I can see how a call about an area business being bombed with dead chickens had to have been the talk of the station at the end of the shift.

Last edited:
woodcutter that is priceless. I bet the cop got back to the station and told everybody and they just about died laughing.

None of my JG are pipped yet but TWO of the olive eggers you sent me hatched between 24 and 36 hours EARLY and another olive egger is pipped way early too!!
I don't know how or why but I have peeping in the bator a day early
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom