Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
The top three look exactly like the black chick I hatched from Wynette. So those are JG's?
smile.png
Mine has all black feet/legs except the tip end of the middle toe is flesh color.

When you let yours free range, do the roosters all go out together to?

Use a flash with the camera and the yellow should go away.

YOu got a super nice mix, CHelsea, in the Jerseys! Two splashes - WOOT! And that one very light silver may be like the one I was mentioning - I wasn't able to get a pic this a.m., she went broody & is in my broody buster cage, and the light just isn't great where the cage is parked (it's on wheels), so I'll get a good pic this weekend, unless it storms all weekend as they're predicting.

Yellow chicks, well, for sure they're not pure FBCM, as I've never, nor have any customers, hatched a yellow chick from my line (the Jeane line is recessive for wheaten, as that's what Wade used to improve egg color, and I do have ONE hen that is W. Jeane; however, no one has ever hatched a wheaten from mine), so it must be Houdini's! And, I've never even hatched a yellow Olive Egger, so this is VERY curious & exciting to me! Were either of those yellow chicks from my olive egger eggs that you got along with the Jersey eggs? Do you know? If so, I have to hatch me some IMMEDIATELY so I can see if I can get a yellow one!

They're really, really cute, Chelsea!!! Thanks again, so very much, for doing the test hatch, and for posting pics!!!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Ok, now I know what the splashes look like. It's the light silver/white one we weren't really able to find any pics for comparison. She's huge like the black one we call Baby. She's fine in all other respects. She likes to hang out with the silkies, and the silkies use her, and Baby ( the black one my daughter named) as pillows.
roll.png
Two silkies in particular like her. They are a little trio. They are all doing fine, and as a whole, just a laid back bunch. Which to me is a good sign. They all seem happy and healthy, and we see a pattern of playtime/sleep time already.

One of the yellow chicks is from Lily. That's the hen I told you about that has the blue legs, and lays the very dark green eggs I showed you. I wasn't sure if any of her eggs were fertile, but apparently one was. The other green egg which was yours didn't hatch or pip. We couldn't really see anything when we candled those.

The other yellow chick is from Roxi the BCM we got from you last August. Houdini is definitly the father. One has a pea comb, so Im fairly certain it's him again. He and Roxi are throwing yellow chicks. That's almost what Lily looked like when she hatched. The other yellow chick has a normal comb and slightly feathered, and a different shade of yellow. That one may be fathered from Stevie, but I'll know for sure once that one feathers out. Stevie has thrown a yellow chick when crossed with one of our EE's, but they were males from that hatch. They feathered out nicely, and turned out to be beautiful males.

So basically, It's Houdini and Roxi. Lily and Stevie for those two yellow ones.

Cass said she had her camera set for different picture lighting, and will show me this morning where the settings is. It's a new camera, and the menu is LARGE, we couldn't find the setting last night. LOL

Bluemoon

Last edited:
Ah-ha! Interesting! Does the yellow chick that you're not completely sure of have feathered shanks? That will tell you if it's Stevie's - he's heavily feathered, right, on his shanks? If so, his babies should have feathered shanks. So, sounds like you'll have another "Lily" in the other yellow one! SWEET! She's BEAUTIFUL!
love.gif
And her eggs are just gorgeous!

Quote:
Both do have feathered legs, but one has heavier legs than the other one. Houdini has feathered legs too. So does Roxi and Lily, but Lily's are a little less. I'm pretty sure Lily and Stevie are the other one, because she hangs out with him during the day. Stevie has his harem, and Houdini has his. Roxi hangs with Houdini, Lily with Stevie. LOL

Only difference this time is this chick does not have blue legs like Lily does.

Bluemoon

Wynette, is the chick I posted a black jersey giant? It came out of a batch of eggs you sent. It is not a silver pencil pr. The feathers are coming in black. I need to sell it if it's a rooster since it doesn't match anything I have and would like to post the correct info when that time comes.

Do the hawks leave your Jersey's alone? I just posted a 'wanted' npip Jersey giant fertile eggs, in the WTB section. As of yesterday, I now have a hawk problem and am having to keep my juvenile bantams in the pen instead of letting them free range.

Here are a few pics of one of my 4 month old Jersey Giants. Its supposed to be pure, and a Blue. Any ideas as to Hen or Roo? Hasnt crowed or layed yet, so IDK.

Anyone know whats up with the fluffy tail feathers? Never seen it before.

Hen or roo??

32504_bjg_and_shipped_eggs_065.jpg

Face on, 4 months old (approx)

32504_bjg_and_shipped_eggs_066.jpg

Weird, Fluffy tail- none stick up straight like other roo's

32504_bjg_and_shipped_eggs_068.jpg

Do these look like pointy Saddle feathers?

32504_bjg_and_shipped_eggs_069.jpg

Another shot of saddle feathers

32504_bjg_and_shipped_eggs_070.jpg

His/her feet with my hand behind

Sooo, do you think I have a purebred, Blue Jersey hen or roo? Any idea what is up with that funky tail?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom