Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Quote:
I have to say, the UserID is kinda fun, too!
big_smile.png

The name was my dads CB call sign back in the 70s!!!!!!!
I weighed my hens eggs today and my blacks are all about 66 grams and my blue/splash are about 74-77 grams.
I was curious about the weight of my boys and found my blacks at 10 1/2 months are all about 7-8 pounds.
My blues at 9 1/2 months are all about 9-11 lbs. I weighed them with a digital fish scale and leather strap around both legs.
Does anybody else have weights on their birds?

Burrito Boy (sorry, I HAD to!
big_smile.png
), I don't have weights on mine, but I'm glad you posted this - it will push me to get mine weighed up! Sounds like you have some...um......BEEFY (
lau.gif
) roosters! Okay, I don't know why your user ID just cracks me up, but thank you for that!

OK, I got out to take some pics this afternoon. Lighting isn't the greatest, but they aren't too bad. All of these are from kathyinmo.

This one, our Splash, we call Vinnie.
58919_v3.jpg

My Blue, Gus-Gus.
58919_gusgus.jpg

The only gal in the bunch, Sha Nè-Nè. You can see little of the green sheen on her.
58919_shanene.jpg

And this is our Lavender fella, Chomper. I believe he has a little frostbite on his comb.
58919_chomper.jpg

Quote:
Well from what I've read....the Jersey giants are slow to mature period. However....there must be a difference in the genetic line from from your info. I don't mind if they take longer to mature as long as they turn out healthy , look good and have pleasant dispositions.

I have a 16 month old Splash Roo from Maria Hall, a Blue Sandhill hen that is going on 2 years old, 3 8-month old roos and 1 pullet descended from Maria Hall (from KathyinMO), 3-9 month old Sandhill roos and 5 Sandhill pullets. My Sandhill pullets and hen are very friendly. They are tied with my Lav Orps as my friendliest birds. The other pullet is not as friendly but, not flighty in the least.
I don't get too friendly with roos. So, I can't tell you which are better. The 16 month Maria Hall Roo is the most skittish, though. I used to have a Sandhill roo as old as my Sandhill hen that was a big baby and let a leghorn roo bully him. So, I fed him treats all the time. I ended up selling him because he wouldn't leave me alone.
I know that I have too many roos...*sigh*.
One of these days, I'll get some pictures.
Dale-Ann

I am thinking that I need to thin the herd by a couple of over zealous cockerels. My gals are being tormented by them trying to bump uglies with them all the time. Just need to figure out which I want to keep around.

Hi - I am sorry if I am hijacking a thread, but I was hoping all of you JG owners can help me out. I bought what I thought was a black australorp from a feed store. When posting pics on the "what breed/gender is this", many people commented that it didn't look like an australorp because it didn't have red ear lobes (they are white). Some people suggested minorca or black andalusian, but I don't see the similarity. I was also thinking maybe black marans. Well, today someone else on that thread was trying to figure out what gender her marans was and she had a chicken that looked just like mine in the photo. As it turns out, she got it at the same feed store I did but a week later. They told her they had australorps the week before but ran out, so they sold her a Black Jersey Giant. Now that I am seeing more photos of them, I am beginning to think that is what I have.

So - sorry for the long story, but can you confirm that I have a Jersey Giant? I will mention that one wing feather on each side that is hidden has a very small white wing-tip. Everything else is black including legs. It was larger than the other week-old chicks I got at the same time.

Also - it will be 13 weeks old this Saturday. Any guess on gender? The one in the other person's thread I was referring to did not have as big of a comb, but they are the same age. I have a marans rooster that definitely acts like one (same age), and this black one doesn't act like him, but in some ways it does.

Thank you!!!

These pics were taken last weekend at 12 weeks old.

Shadow6.jpg

Shadow5.jpg

Shadow2.jpg

Shadow1-1.jpg

Shadow-5.jpg

Shadow-4.jpg

Last edited:
I had a feeling that would be coming up, but I can't check until tomorrow when I get home from work. It's too dark now and dark when I leave. I'll post back.

Back
Top Bottom