Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

You know what -- I Do have a question. Maniac has (at 13 weeks) a HUGE comb - it's about 2 1/2 inches and it's kind of poor quality points - one or two non-uniform deep points with a few little shallow points on those. (Rooroo is beautifully consistent 5 or 6 perfect little uniform peaks - a little more modest in size so far - but he's second fiddle to maniac his crow was HYSTERICAL as it was developing - as if Maniac would kick his fuzzy butt if he got it right)

ANYHOW - I worry about frostbite in the winter. We're in central Jersey and it got cold here last winter - they aren't in a heated barn. If anyone has any stories I'd enjoy reading them.

I described this site as "What to Expect When You're Expecting... Chickens"
lol.png

Thanks - sounds like a plan to start with anyhow.

Haha - Maniac is gonna love that
roll.png
He actually might -- he swings between macho and cuddly.

Hi Peeps

Ive read every single GIANT Thread in the past year. They are truely an interesting and impressive breed worth saving and promoting.

I have to say this a well kept and enjoyable board. Well done.

My hens have been laying very well, but Golda ( yes Golda Miller is her namesake ) went broody already...and she is only 8 mos old.

So, I had to remover her to break the habit since eggs were getting crushed since her sisters insist on invading her nest.

Im thinking trying 48 hours........... anyone else have success withthis method ? If so @ what time frame ?

TIA, Greg

PS : Im hatching some whites right now along with RIR's. Wish me luck.... I think there is " an issue "
fl.gif

Quote:
I tried 2 days, and it didn't work for me. Three to five days worked for me.
idunno.gif
I think 5 is best, because I noticed the ones I broke in 3 days did go broody again within a month.

Me, too. I have one in a cage right now, she's been there for two days. I had the same issue as Kathy with keeping them only until they looked normal - they went right back.

Quote:
I'm in central Jersey, too. Where are you? I use vaseline on the combs in the winter - once a week. I have a faverolles roo with a good size comb and we didn't have any problem - but he sure didn't like it!

Quote:
I've never had a problem breaking one after a full 3+ days - I mean putting her in early on, say, a Monday, and then not returning her to her pen until Thursday in the evening. I have a "broody buster"/breeder cage I use - it's 3' x 4' and has hardware cloth sides & floor, plus a nest box which I cut off access to. The idea is to get air flowing underneath them. That little breeder cage works fantastically well for me!

Quote:
Bulk-wise they are similar, but the brahmas stand straighter, so they are sometimes taller. And they can look bigger with all those feathers. I've run the gamut with both breeds.

Ok thanks! I am in love with the big birds and am looking at the Jerseys for a possibility in the future
big_smile.png
Hopefully they would get along well with my silkies?

Quote:
Bulk-wise they are similar, but the brahmas stand straighter, so they are sometimes taller. And they can look bigger with all those feathers. I've run the gamut with both breeds.

Ok thanks! I am in love with the big birds and am looking at the Jerseys for a possibility in the future
big_smile.png
Hopefully they would get along well with my silkies?

My Jerseys are pretty laid back & get along well with pretty much everything they've ever been put in with.

Back
Top Bottom