Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Heel low:

I thought it would be inspiring and most of all, FUN...to have a window in (a bird's eye view?) on a pretty kewl project...objective is for a "calm, pea combed white eggshell laying breed" and I think that is a great goal to have.
celebrate.gif

Mentioned below is the fact that rose combs usually have large wattles in conjunction with the comb type (combs and wattles, ear lobes all exchange heat for chickens but too large and facial gear can get frozen and be quite painful) AND studies have shown that pure rose combed males have reduced fertility (explains why male Wyandottes may have fertility issues) ...completely acceptable to have lowered fertility rates IF there is only one roo in your breeding pen with the hens. Not so OK if the roo is impure for rose comb (R/r"+") and you do not realize it before using him OR more roos are there than the pure for rose combed male...higher fertility rate for the non-mutation meaning you will likely end up getting single combed or impure for rose comb offspring simply because the pure rose comb male has competition regarding sperm longevity.
sad.png

My goal for this project was to ultimately have a dual purpose breed leaning towards the meatie side, that has a pea comb, and lays a white eggshell egg. Why white? well it seems all the white shelled egg layers are psycho, and/or have those wretched huge single combs that freeze off. It seems that too many of the heritage breeds that used to lay white eggs don't any more because of outcrosses. Rose combed birds still have those huge wattles. I'd like a nice quiet bird. I don't want rose comb genes because of the fertility issue. Pea combs to me are the perfect comb- nice and small but not too small for hot summer weather, and nice and neat wattles and earlobes. White eggs look so nice mixed in with brown eggs! A calm, pea combed white eggshell laying breed does not exist. The closest are the Twentse, which now lay a smallish tinted egg but were supposedly white egg layers at one time. They have a walnut comb. I suppose I could just select whiteshelled layers out of the Twentse and even standard chanteclers but where's the fun doing that?

I picked Buckeye for the temperament and pea comb. Unfortunately it seems that any Buckeye I have had lays an excessively long torpedo shaped egg- very ugly and they don't fit in the carton well. There are Buckeyes that lay nice eggs but I don't have any. I picked Cornish for hard feathering, pea comb, tough eggshell and meat characteristics, and good foraging ability. The red sex link is to improve the egg quality and quantity. I will cross in the white egg layer (I think a commercial white layer would be my best bet and I hope they carry the brown eggshell inhibition gene).

I know that's a lot of outcrosses and most of the chicks will be inferior, so hard culling will be in order. This was supposedly a bucket list project but I was hoping for a bigger bucket or longer time frame :-/

I am probably not going to be hatching eggs this year, except by broodies so the breeding project is on hold or significantly cut back. At least I have some pretty hens to look at . A few chicks would be welcome if the broodies look after them, it will be easier than incubating and brooding myself.

I believe that temperament is a huge selection criterion for many breeders...we like to like birds that are not nervous or flighty; ones that seem to enjoy our company, not avoid us! Calmness and tranquility makes working amongst them and just enjoying them wonderful...good temperaments just seem to accentuate SO many nice things...like less feed consumed because everyone is calmly going about their biz, not flying up and crashing into things, getting hurt or wasting energy vibrating instead of being calm and enjoying living. I like to enter a bird pen and be acknowledged that I bring good things...not shrieks of "INTRUDER....INTRUDER ALERT!" to set the whole barnyard off with alarm calls from every bird on the place! Sheesh. Stress is the door opener to succumbing to illness...stress a bird and you weaken them which allows disease to gain a foothold. Happy and calm, just means less troubles.

White shelled eggs...had not thought about how more uncommon those seem to be becoming. Quite right now that I think of it...Minorcas and Leghorns (of the proper heritage kind...really nice birds Leghorns when you run across exhibition lines or heritage ones=--not spazzy like commercial swill eggers!) lay white eggs...White faced Spanish too...but yes, these white eggers do seem to be in decline to the host of brown, blue, green and even pink shelled layers. Neat. By having a white egg shell layer...when so many are variations of brown...I can steal the idea of having lots of hens in a pen with a roo and using the difference in egg shell colour to allow you to tell which group of hens are laying which eggs. For breeding purposes, you collect the coloured shell you want but keep the roo to hen ratio more sensible than say just a trio. I have plans for maybe getting some rose comb Brown Leghorns in summer of 2018 and will be mindful that Leghorns lay an egg shell colour I currently do not really have. Bonus!
lol.png

I too am concerned that I have not had any Mediterranean type more flighty breeds of chickens. I tend to have breeds like Brahmas, Wyandottes and Chants...bigger dual purpose laid back bird breeds...the Booteds are about as flighty as I get and even there, my strain was way way calm...Millie my original hen would greet me every time I came to their pen with a great big "Hello! You bring good things for us!"
big_smile.png
Was such a lovely ordeal to have happen...I truly miss her and her ways.

Not heard of the Twentse but think I have seen the breed word Kraienkopp before...wiki'd the name Twentse and instantly thought...Orloff or Mayal...and yup ... Malay and Leghorn combo breed.
cool.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraienkopp:

Like the walnut comb (pea and rose comb...so another form of the Chantecler type comb...the cushion comb), like their looks and an "off white" egg shell and a setting breed. Nice sounding indeed. The "active" mention...perhaps flighty to a point but perhaps not if allowed to free range.

I personally do love Buckeyes...only American Breed of chook developed by a woman I believe...nice temperaments usually and other than the unique Buckeye colour pattern and pea comb...to me at least, basically a Chantecler could be one if it dropped the rose comb mutation and changed colour...bwa ha ha... Recognized in 1904...so I guess the Chant should have been a Buckeye of a different colour variety, half a pound lighter with a different comb type like Leghorns! Bwa ha ha...now I will be in trouble! LOL

I too have one, only one because I refuse to set those eggs, one torpedo egg shaped layer in the...Buff Brahma bantams. Yeh, but if the whole flock has that tubey shape...maybe some of the crossing will fix that and make them more eggy shaped. I do get what you mean that they would not fit cosy in regular egg cartons...darn it. We are not suppose to set any eggs or replicate (natural hatch) any eggs we dislike in a visual sense. Good shells, good contents...yeh, don't want to make more and more of what we personally dislike but one can work thru it I guess if not given much of an option. Just remember when you do finally get that eggy egg shape you prefer...it was hard fought and well earned...hee hee...Yee haw!

Now for the best part...some of the photos you sent me of your project in the works...and what fine happy specimens they are...lovely indeedy!
ya.gif

Beautiful rich red accented by a lovely hue of eumelanin

What a chunker gal...what a lovely colour combination...wink wink, nudge nudge...she's a L00KER...and that looking you back in the eye...she's not just a pretty face but a smart bird too....you ready for trouble...well are you?
lau.gif

" A thunder chunkin' girl that communications what she wants, when, how much, and you better deliver...you understand!??"
rant.gif

What a gorgeous silhouette eh...and that stern eye like the Chants have...the brow and intensity of the girl's gaze...almost unnerving. Hee hee...I blame the Cornish blood for that!
tongue.png

He's a looker too...I can see the Buckeye in him. Moreso than Cornish...I see more the Corny structure and substance in the gal above.

And here is a PROUD male...I have some coloured like this in the Chants...the further generations of the Red Chants when I crossed partridge with self-buff...lovely...he looks regal and great and strutting... Protector of his flock. Nice job and what good incentive to keep working on your project with such intelligent good looking birds. Good job!
wink.png

I love that rich red hue of phaeomelanin. I just read on The Coop an exert (no source posted...so unsure where it originated) that some of the colourations we are choosing and definately the slower feathering qualities for better expression of our patterns may be linked to why some breeds of show poultry (the finer ones) are not producing eggs in amounts other ones are. I guess to look good, it means we need to trade off some of our egg expectations in the heritage and show birds. The point mentioned the fact that New Hampshires were created where Rhode Island Reds were lesser...based on the fact that a deeper rich red feather was somehow linked to less egg production...a lighter red, like the NH's were made to be, increased the egg production. Hmmm...skip that deep red for a lighter shade...hmmm...I dunno. I love some of that rich red quite alot, fond of the almost black brick red we see in really finely bred RIR for keeping to the Standard. Hmmm...there seems to be a bit of tit for tat kinda trade off, for rich red over a muted tone. Heck, lookit the extreme the factory farmed versions have gone...no challenge there...in self-whites...blah. Self-white is nice too with a bright red face and head gear, yeller legs but if given one variety to choose...the white in self coloured feathers is not the best we can be in choosing a magnificent packaging concept for our feathered friends. Sigh.

Like you say above, "At least I have some pretty hens to look at" and I do have to agree these birds are beauts...the eye candy factor does weigh high up on the list...especially if one is about to get lost in generations of a work in progress where you might have to trade some of our wanna have's for realities. At the very very least...good eggs, good meat (thank heavens for that meaty Cornish influx, eh!), good lookers...I think those three components will always be enough tid bits or bread crumbs on the path way...that long winding pathway that few wanna travel. The brambly one with the pot of gold at the end...Success...goal accomplished. A breath of fresh air and congratulations to keep you with your nose to the grind stone. You ROCK, so keep plugging along, your product thus far is inspiring.
highfive.gif

Thank you for allowing me the permission to post your photos of your work in progress and doing up the above text to explain it so we understand your plan and the implementation. What fun and what a wonderful regiment of work to be accomplishing. Sweet.
hugs.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for posting my chicken project......it's such fun to crossbreed!
celebrate.gif
I expect to see much more variability in the F2 generation, so I will have to be very very picky with who I choose to produce the next generation. Ultimately, I'm hoping for a dark red Columbian coloured chicken, with lots of black in the hackle and tail.

Thanks for posting my chicken project......it's such fun to crossbreed!
celebrate.gif
I expect to see much more variability in the F2 generation, so I will have to be very very picky with who I choose to produce the next generation. Ultimately, I'm hoping for a dark red Columbian coloured chicken, with lots of black in the hackle and tail.

I think your choice of red with black "points" is a good decision. Kinda like the Rhode Island Reds...better than the self-buffs/reds since you will be OK with black in those areas. A pretty colour pattern that allows you to focus on your production aspects. Good balance I figure.
hugs.gif

What's this mean...

Slices of rollover (nfi) for Lacy and baked liver for Emmy

Yup, more show practising. Wednesday the week prior and last Wednesday. Hoping we can attend the mock (I am thinking chicken or pork?) show on Sunday, if'n Rick is not too exhausted. Man alive...they are working him insane number of days. Snow needs to stop...one day he was out for 3 a.m. I keep telling him they are trying to KILL him...
rant.gif

Mar 6, 2017 - Girls enjoying sunshiny winter

It HAS been a good winter.

March 10, 2017 - evening

March has come in like a lion but next week, goes lamby-pie with above freezing temperatures.

Weather don't bother the girls who love pouncing about in the snows.

That's the deal here in Alberta...our winters have snow...but we also get blessed with sunshine...

Beautiful sunshine to make the snows sparkly and blue hues...

Laughed when I saw this...the chickens in the Duece Coop are enjoying their winter.

I took time out to clear out all the coops and next task, energy levels allowing, gonna change out the deep litter of oat straw and feathers in their runs.
Here's a little tip I learned...

Buy some of the "cooking oil" spray and when the snow gets sticky and makes your sleds harder to pull thru the snows, give it a cleaning and spray with the oil. Have not had to do this yet but once now for this winter. Means winter is losing its grip on the season, eh.
wink.png

Pretty nice white blanket...should turn to icy and messy soon with the melt coming.
tongue.png

I thought this was a pretty sweet explanation on winter temperatures in Alberta...we had minus 30 Celcius last week...and what with minus ten for a few days...yeh, bikini season! AFTER a proper normal winter, one does think of minus 10 C as warming up.
lau.gif

Hmmm, time change tomorrow, spring thoughts are awakening...thinking gardening, thinking chicks...yeh...thinking and doing, quite the opposite concepts.

I did however see some mini dragon statues brought in and at ten percent off the sixty bucks each...well let's just say the egg hatching dragon, I brought home and Rick stopped by and got me the sleeping one. The gargoyle was on for like ten bucks from twenty...see if I find the time to do a better paint job on him and he can join near the Taj Mahal where I already situation a much larger version.

Grabbed this cast iron one too...like how often do you get to see frogs....iron frogs??
ya.gif

I already have two matching ones like this...out attached to the ram barn, the BATCHELOR PAD...the word lilyPAD being the clue in on why frogs!

Rick has been tidying up the last of the adds on the work truck. Still got the mudflaps to attach but that will require welding some metal hangers and can wait on it for more springish weather.

Made lots of trips now in the BOO BABE with the girl dogs. Emmy even has gotten the hang of loading and unloading herself from her cave crate. Hee hee...good show Em!

There's a matched pair of smallish LED lights that Rick had installed in the grill.

Wonderful how well they LIGHT up the way. We can SEE where we are going.
roll.png

I was laughing at the power of SMELL...

There is NO denying, that even DAYS later...no fooling Emmy...she knows someone besides us has been touching her property...Dad's truck!

I can smell what you had for breaky!

Is Lacy smelling inside Emmy?

I can smell yer brains...

Is Emmy smelling inside Lacy?

You had the same breakfast as I did!

Stop smelling me!

Foamy is near over her Vitamin K and fatty food diet. Glad of that and glad she had no negative repercussions.

She sure has a pretty coat of many markings

She is like a combination of Lacy and Emmy when it comes to colour. Nice.

I was talking with the one lady that has Parker from Australia...she may come to the Spring show too. I mentioned to her that there was a Jolly Ball (nfi) that the girls were having troubles eating the handle on. Course that meant I needed to take a click and send her a photo of it.

Who's always photobombing me...

That or she's telling me, no click, toss toy...forget the click and get on with the play time program!
lol.png

So in review, the tarps Rick had special made and brought in for the Parking Building...are doing well...

Nice and light reflecting and standing up very well to this winter's cold and winds.
yesss.gif

In general, all the birdies and beasties are chugging along this winter...

The geriatric Jacobs are enjoying themselves.
big_smile.png
Should be with their diet of alfalfa hay...gotta give extra goodness to the oldersters so they can thrive and be alive!
old.gif

First lamb Nix is a two-horn from twins from 2003 on right
In the back in the barn, Nascor is a five-horn from 2003 from first triplets here out of Haley
and Regina six-horn is on the left front there from 2005 twins

Funny how I still have a lamb from each lambing I have had here.

My kitchen window yesterday eve

Beautiful...beauty in nature...and perhaps explains something too.

A Celtic design I randomly chose...kewl!

So perhaps...you also see a correlation between some of our human designs and good old Mother Nature??
lol.png

Beef stew in the crock pot.

Steak and Lasagne

Took out some veg, peeled some shwimps last evening and made....
wee.gif

Honey garlic shrimp and veg

And a sorta kinda Greek salad only I forgot I need to go restock and get some Feta...
hmm.png

Off I wander...again...
gig.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Heel low:

Went to CKC Sanctioned Match on Sunday...what a blast.

Only dif on real show, no points...there is a judge, ring steward, show ring, paper ribbons to be won...lotsa dog dogs, run silly round ring...a show!
love.gif

Held at the place where we are weekly practising...was super fun.
wee.gif

Emmy sat on my lap and surveyed the goings on letting some of the kids pet her. Lacy royally sucked up pets and love hugs from all the kids. Was a blast.
celebrate.gif

Ran Lacy, she had only an Australian Shepherd to compete against and Lacy took Group (herding).

Told her breeder about the match!

Should be way fun at the upcoming show.
big_smile.png

Last night, another conformation practise. Thought we were going in the white Sub but weather report said snow...so we had to undo the white Sub ready and load up the Ford one ton.

Had Rick come and move partial bale, so lots of to do things on the go with the warmer type weather happening.

Laughed at Boss Man...with a clover on his head...does he care? Nope...

One of the elderly Jacob ewes passed on peacefully during our warm weather. Glad it was warm out and not horrid for her. That leaves two old ewes now. Glad I clicked some pics few days back of the three together....who knew!??

Girls finding every op to play...

MY only purpose in life is to "PLAY DAWGS!"

Snow piled up is just only for the girls personal use, eh.

Stalemate...

The girls work, but when they wanna...

Helper dogs...
hugs.gif

Firewood inspector - "This will do!"

Chicken inspector - "I say, this bird is good!"
Dog inspector - "I say, this dog is good!"
wink.png

Hmm...sunshine to bask in!

Kinda mid time between spring and winter!

Snow piles up, slides off

Thanks to Rick taking me to town several times...Got all we need for St. Pat's day, eh.
yesss.gif

Got THE shirt for the whole day

Morning get up with LED lighted necklace and earrings

Love the Viking hat! Part of me roots, Viking!

Goodies for the bus kids!
Theme is certainly GREEN, eh!

Then for the afternoon run...

Super silly hat

And other get ups...

Afternoon adornments

So many things we THINK we know about St. Patrick's Day are ever so wrong...bwa ha ha...
gig.gif

http://www.ibtimes.com/:

Bwa ha ha...BLUE but no matter, we are GREEN as per the change in that tradition...hee hee... One of the little kids who has NO idea what is in store for them tomorrow, told the others on the bus..."You need to wear green on Friday...they pinch you and it HURTS SO BAD!" LOL

No worries, the young'uns on MY bus will have lots and lots of green to avoid them pinchy PINCHES!
tongue.png

Coupla food clicks for Scott...
highfive.gif

Mar 11, 2017 - Bread cod fish, chips and Perogies

Mar 14, 2017 - Got some Feta for proper Greek salad &
Spaghetti

That be that...gotta
D.gif
(fly) so bye!
yippiechickie.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Heel low:

I am sadly ignoring my thread, so I am going to move a conversation I am having with 3RC over here...Chants. @3riverschick

This way I can post alot of useful Chant photos on here and know where or if I've already uploaded that file. I am old and get ever so much more forgetful as to where I put stuff!
wink.png

Quote:
We all school each other...we all benefit from conversations and sharing each of our own windows on knowledge...we as a whole benefit whereas one individual would flounder left in the dark, the Chantecler community rebounds with each one of our shared experiences to benefit from. Love groups of us because the one would never progress as far and fast as the group does...along for the ride, ready for the train wrecks too.
hmm.png

There are long hard roads for some and I am just conversing with another breeder that took what was deemed by many to be utter garbage because THEY saw promise they thought worthy of retrieving. Love where they are right now...consistency in their White Chants and a huge sense of pride after a seven year journey. For those who see with intensity...crap birds may not be utter crap and worthy of extracting some good from. I however see that one should start with at the very least, decently form chickens to begin...not ones that contain potential 97% genetics for bad feet and such...no foot/mouth = no animal/bird. I don't mind an uphill battle but for most, do you need to have a seven year hurdle and all the time and resources poured into a line that could be not worthy of the efforts. It is so much nicer to start with a good start so you don't end up turned off. Too hard and you may quit when if you did some more searching and took more time, you can begin at a better starting point. Purchasing culls from others all depends on what is deemed their lesser birds, eh.

So many persons believe that the Chants are not too common too when in reality they are not really a rare gene pool if you factor in the ones in Quebec. Lots of families have 90+ year old strains of White Chants as the family chickens. Received from Oka to start and many shared and they don't really fuss too much about them because they have always been there and I expect, always will be the PQ chicken. Turns out it is us English pigs that need to get learned up...we presume wrongly this is a lost breed until we open our eyes and SEE we are the ones that lost the birds, not the province of origin. The Chant is doing quite well and fine in Quebec...there being black ones, buff, whites, partridges all doing just fine without us.
lau.gif

I have pondered your last statement, even slept on it. Be nice if it was not about us and about the breed but I can't wrestle that to jive with reality.

We are human and we are always going to have our own perceptions, wants and capabilities. We keep birds with different focusses, so to say "it's about the breed" without realizing it is up to the opinion and capabilities of the human in the supposedly controlling position...THE BREED is so subjective. Define good and you will find anything and everything, even polar opposites can be defined when judging GOOD in birds...
idunno.gif

To me, the breed that is worded in the Standards is the guideline with enough wiggle room to make our strains suit so many of us. Given we choose the right framework in a breed first. Not going to want large head gear in a Chantecler and we should look to another breed if that is our human wishes.
tongue.png

Quote:
I've seen common ready to lay Barred Plymouth Rocks sell as three hens in a box at auction, fifteen years ago at $50 a piece...course you KNOW I had to know why a woman paid that much. Explanation...she had been given the nod to get some hens, three is what she wanted and ready to lay. Came up from the city and be darned if she was going to go home empty handed. She got it a bidding war with likely others of the same mindset and she won them. Fifty dollars, fifteen years ago, for nothing special but some hatchery bought day olds grown out and gendered up. Yeh...
roll.png

We paid $100 twenty years ago when layer ration was $7 a bag. That means in today's 55 pound layer ration bag as the price equalizer, $345 per bird excluding the transportation costs to have them flown in. Airlines mean coming from Ontario, about $50 a bird 20 years ago to ship them here...ups the cost more but not compared to driving and fuel and wear & tear on vehicle and the TIME factor...long trips to transport birds stresses them. Flying is the most nice and cost efficient method in my mind. You purchase or have the containers made, they go to the airport three hours prior to fly time and away they go...you be there at Cargo and whisk them on home to quarantine pens and cross fingers and toes in the next 8 weeks, nobody kicks or has something nasty to give to your other birds. Done deal.

I have only managed to find references to paying hundred's of dollars for good breeding stocks in the 1900's but am told even in the late 1800's, people were willing to pay thousands for good birds they wanted. Madison Square Garden winners advertised in the bird publications and such. We are talking about Fanciers that walked into a coop where 10,000 birds roosted and selection was form that number as to who graced the shows. Gordon Ridler and his father travelled the country side in train cars loaded with exhibition birds they had produced...but they provided meat and eggs, factory farms in the sense we have them now, did not exist. They were the production source for meat and eggs and could play fancy bird bird because they wanted to and had sheer numbers to select from. Decades of years breeding for perfection...we now have lost SO much...what with the hatching egg sellers (setting of a dozen eggs does not give anyone much hope at good birds!), the hatchery birds, the way too common practise of breeding repeatedly from cockerels and pullets...gack! There are no longer thousands of birds to select the best from...back in the 1980's began the keeping of flocks of maybe a dozen birds at most in a breed and variety...not thousands to choose from.

So let us STOP, pause and do the math. One female bird in the trio is likely to at least match the 210 or so eggs per year...Pay $50 for the female and split the transport fee of $150 into three, hundred dollars on the female...now even with my psycho 3% retention rate...you should get at least SIX good breeding prospects off that ONE FEMALE you paid $100 for. Six decent birds that could be sold by you for the same fifty bucks...6 x $50 = $300...you have covered the initial investment in YOUR breeding prowess by three times. THREE TIMES in her first year. Now of course, the male in the trio won't be making no eggs so my bean counting mind says, I have done my calculations too quick and over looked that half of him has to go to each of the females too...so adjustments to that...he is also costing you an outlay of initial cash of $50 for him and $50 for transport, value of $100 split between the two females, so add another fifty to the hen expense.

Six decent birds if you set her eggs, she is $100 plus covers the cost of half the male at $50...she is now an initial investment by you of $150 and produces one trio you keep back and one trio you can sell at $50 x 3 birds...fine, she covers her cost to begin with plus gave you a trio worth $150 also. She doubles her $ spend in first year.

Now to be even more fair...you don't feed, house, make hatching eggs for free or hatch and grow out the babes. So yeh, I get that my math is still too simple...but keep in mind, of the 200 or so day olds...how many do you grow out to eat, grow out to lay just table eggs...along with those six day olds you grew out for one trio to sell and one trio to keep back for future breeding...right? This all said and done as if you were in this to cover your costs and perhaps...perhaps make a small profit in the first year you get that good start in a trio.
wink.png

So let's have some more fun and look at Chantecler types...as many TYPES in a breed and a variety as you want and all within the parameters of the words found in the Standards which we use to form our opinions on what makes a breed a breed...right?
hu.gif

There are enough suitable types of Chanteclers, other person's lines that I can say, some I adore and others I do not.

Here is my vision of perfection in a Chant...a photo that has been air brushed by the master Arthur O. Schilling and done in 1923 (appears in the 1998 APA SOP too).
big_smile.png

Now same artist, but done at another time and I abhor them.

This pair looks out of balance to me...not symmetrical and squished together!!

Done in 1937 and
tongue.gif
Hilarious as for many, I am betting they SEE the same beasty birds...What I suspect is that Mr. Schilling photographed a pair of a different type...and not my type indeed!

1926 or 1927 Chant (fray again in the tail??)

Types change like hemlines in fashion. Course too we hafta note, differences in the development of the breed.

Bunch white fowl...and below, a more modern different breed...a Cornish which is pictured above too...third from left.

Ain't this a magnificent specimen??
droolin.gif

So let's look over time at Wilfrid's progression with the Chants...

I truly don't like this White male Chantecler...right in front of Bro W and yet...he is more Leghorn in my mindset (see above that Leghorn in the multi chook photo...see the sameness)...where in the state of breed development was the Chant and let's see the changes, eh.

1919 - naked Chants...but nice consistency in these capons, eh
In regards to EGG ability of the Chant...
jumpy.gif

Linda's book, page 27:

1920 - That tail bothers me immensely! What an absolute MESS!
And where is the BLOCK shape I so enjoy in our Chants...

In the spring of 1925, Bro W hatched 7,400 White Chants... if there were opportunities to make selections for what he wanted...surely he had the sheer numbers to be choosy over.

Read that again...seven thousand, four hundred day olds to start the 1925 season...this is AFTER breed recognition in the APA too...he was doing this as the poultry manager at Oka...he by no means was over and done with his beloved breed of chicken!
smile.png

In 1917 the monk of creation loved one exceptional hen and he could have easily kept on with her genetics in how he approached breeding, making her a GREAT influence on the breed.

Quite a circulated photograph from 1926 - note the FRAY tail
sad.png

Another YICK bird from 1926...soft, way too soft plumage and the stance...really...yuck!

Bothered me quite some time on the fray tailed male, but the birds can NEVER LIE...I guess back in the day, Rhodes had issues with fray in tails...so...goes without saying, in a composite breed like the Chantecler, you add in Rhode Island, you get the good with the bad. That's what that male was screaming at me...I got Rhode in me and along for the ride, fray tail too!
sickbyc.gif

1941 - still got some looking pretty thinnish and Leghorn like

Again, 1941 but in this one, it gives you the idea...those are all the chicken facilities at Oka...he bred MANY!

Raised real, in the great outdoors in Canada...common folk of Canada's birds!!! Out and about in the Great White North!

Here's some clicks from 1944...we get to see the facilities and see some of the birds. What makes me laugh...just like my bantam ducks out on the lawns of the bird yard...I am betting all those mini flocks KNOW which houses they roost in at night. Lots don't give bird brain's the credit owed...they KNOW where they live and will return each eve to the safety and family flocks...sure a few cockerels will turn a way ward eye to another flock but likely most return to their house and home.
cool.png

White birds, whiteness every where's! Little wonder Dr. Wilkinson chose Partridge pattern for his variety of chicken...less visible out free ranging, but you do have to admire the sensibility of Bro W's whites in that he did not have to mess with ground colour like the rich bay and pencillings and markings in the males of the Partridge variety.

I DO however see alot more yellowing in some whites that make me frown. Too much yellow corn or green grass (make green with yellow and blue...the yellow shows up in the plumage and the pretty yeller legs too)....not sure but I personally KNOW you can make selections for white of whitest birds that eat yellow corn and grass to their heart's content...new feathers sometimes appear yellow with the oils form the bird too. White feathers for exhibition purposes needs to be paid attention to also!
lol.png

So many won't pick up their birds and even know how to examine a bird in hand...Bro W did. Love how the roo a doo thar in the center of the click is watching him. Giving him the rooster on patrol stance and the bird EYE...and no wonder, when a predator comes to call, who gets taken first in most cases. The chicken man because he will sacrifice his life for his harem of hens and chicks. He protects and one of the reasons I find males live to like five and females onwards. He is on constant alert and wears himself down, looking after the others. Chickens, so admirable.

See the windows, lets in natural light...can be opened for fresh air too...as you can see below, open windows on the right.

I like Andrès birds too...he's got some last we spoke that are tipping the scales in males at 12 pounds. Over the Standard weight but no doubt, meaty. I have had cockerels grow to nine pounds...lots of variations on weights but in production of meat...a big & wide bird to hang meat off of is good, wide big female to have room to make eggs within! Blocks of production.

Like these Chants....

Don't prefer this shape...

1943 - not blocky enough pour moi!
lol.png

And speaking of a shape (and their Standard is so different than the Chants too!)...this is an Albertan which to me, is nothing at all like the Chantecler in the Partridge variety.

And here is a written report from the Royal, speaking about the Albertans that came to exhibit their 65 birds in Ontario...note the fifth listed exhibitor is Wilkinson, he was there!

Of 65 entries; 10 Firsts, 11 Seconds, 6 Thirds, one 4th & one 5th...

This is page 4 from CFI in regards to Boulianne's White Chantecler stocks....two different lines for a wider gene pool. NO heat or light to alter their adaptability to CANADA's conditions...good meat production, mentions the labour of love info (https://www.canadianpoultrymag.com/profiles/producers/labour-of-love-10043)... plus he talks about the Partridge and self-Buffs having different qualities than the Whites simply because they came from different beginnings...smart man indeed. Different type, temperament and production aspects...nowadays though I would have to say whomever has a variety of Chantecler, may work their own qualities into any colour pattern of Chantecler they set their minds to...7,400 day olds in one spring like Bro W did in 1925...that is a little out of MY league but with the Labour of Love ten flocks in the works...why not? Theirs are White Chants but never say never, eh. More than one person would want help with 7,400 day olds...LOL
gig.gif

Nice looking photo of a white male in the ariticle BUT note...the yellow tinge to white feathers and the tail...could be a tad bit fuller BUT nice shape in my view otherwise...above, nice meaty carcasses...what can be done with a breed that is dual purpose...keep the good ones and grow out your culls for meat and eggs from layers too if you like!

More Oka Chants...no idea when this was taken but it is at La Trappe...lovely foraging free ranging Canuck bird birds!
celebrate.gif

Before I forget to post this...just a nice Punnett Square showing rose and pea comb combinations...name of the comb we want in this case is WALNUT but same is true of the CUSHION comb.

Above all, I am ever so grateful that a monk decided to build for his father, a real Canadian chicken...the Chantecler is a magnificent breed with so many options and variables for the common folk to play with and love.

This post card which I have an original copy of...shows other LOVES of the monk...in the back thar...do you see the dogs...YES...Bro Wilfrid had many passions, from bunnies to dawgs and those two German Shepherd dogs make my heart sing. Another commonality we share...the love of the canine.
woot.gif

Dogs enjoying their chickens...hmmm...somewhat a familiar scenario...if I could only put my finger on that relationship in a photo....hmmm...sounds so familiar and yet.
lau.gif

Bantam Buff Brahma roo and Emily

Beauty of a day and time to run the hounds...

Lacy on a scent
Who let the dogs out...I did, I did!
wee.gif

Emmest about to POUNCE!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Tara, I get more interested in the Chanteclers every time you post about them... Truly magnificent birds. Just beautiful.

I was kinda put off with Chanteclers upon first seeing them. I knew a fellow that was overly keen about them and kept on and on about them on how "I needed to get some." To me, looked like a snake head with the big comb and wattles...someone came at them and sliced and diced them?

I began to warm up to them and now, really sunk. Right now, our only standard sized breed we have here...that will change next year, but for now, ONLY LARGE FOWL on the place.
lau.gif

I don't know, is it me and something is wrong with ME but don't care to push a breed or variety on others. I do enjoy sharing info on the breeds I have knowledge on, but the rah rah rah...I think my team spirit is too bantered about over the years. I like what I like and if others do also...how nice we can share a passion. If not, not like I am going to drop something I happened to like.

I think when I stopped looking at the Chants' heads as if they were snake and decided they looked more like flying RATZ...the honeymoon with the breed began.
gig.gif

It helps too that my infatuation was fed by person's like Galep's stocks...90+ years from Oka beginnings...the family flock in Quebec...what's not to love??
love.gif

Six month old pullet from 2011...magnificent!

To find a breed or breeds you just adore, it is very nice we have so many choices we can make in poultry. Like canines, boy oh boy have we messed about with poultry...so much so, there is no excuse not to have one or five kinds, eh.

I love the stern look the lack of comb and the heavy brow has...
smile.png

Medusa - Red Chant

Now I label this more EAGLE than DOVE...
lau.gif

Medusa & Fixins
May 14 2013 - Two red girls, tough girls...staring each other down
somad.gif
somad.gif

John Robert Wooden lived to be 99...
old.gif
He is really kewl in the quotes listed to his credit!
cool.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wooden:

What a lot of neat quotes he has made...so I will post some...as inspiration for this, the first day of spring equinox for us today.
celebrate.gif

John Robert Wooden:
My thoughts on people that help me...the ones that argue intelligently...that don't just take MY words for gospel and call me out on the rug to explain it better. I like to be able to back up why I like something...or see it one way

One lady raises dogs that have natural bobtails...mine have tails...I respect her love for NO TAIL and she respects my love for a dog with a TAIL. Makes me grin. We could have hated each other but we explained why we love what we love, found it to be most reasonable for each one of us and that be that...best friends forever!
highfive.gif

John Robert Wooden:
Don't tell me, show me how to be...
yesss.gif

John Robert Wooden:
NO word to describe it, make it not exist...would that not be blessed?
love.gif

John Robert Wooden:
This one reminds me often of why Rick is at work making $ to support our life and I get to retire to a part time job and run the place. It does sadden me...when I stop and reflect that only one of us can run about mucking about silly here on the ranch. The other side to this funny farm is getting up at 3 a.m. and sloughing along so we can have this. For dinner tonight, I am making egg drop soup (three chicken legs on the simmer right now for a good bone broth) and rice and pork and vegetables. Chinese food. Least I can do while I am home and doing chores and such. Sigh...don't make a living prevent...oh how those words ever so much ring true...
sad.png

John Robert Wooden:
And then you read something like above and realize...not meant for me to feel bad that Rick sacrifices his life so I can live mine...that I can do some fun things and do something for Rick to make his day a perfect one too. Now I feel much better...

John Robert Wooden:
I can make a good supper and still attend to all that needs doing for today.
tongue.png

John Robert Wooden:
How true, no amount of money can buy personal talent or ability.

John Robert Wooden:

Along the same lines as his quote above...
hugs.gif

John Robert Wooden:
Ain't that the truth...if you only have negative things to say, the audience soon tunes you out.

John Robert Wooden:
Every day we gotta greet it and learn something from it. When we do stop learning, we may as well be dead because we shut down to all the glorious education awaiting us just to grasp it.

John Robert Wooden:
I love, love the old publications. Not always accurate in a scientific sense...but certainly alot of the wisdom is timeless. I love exploring how they use to do things...if we forget our past, we will most certainly make the mistakes done historically...over and over again. Why re-invent the wheel when the oldtimers before us already did it and did it well.

John Robert Wooden:
What a perfect way to say, quit rushing....sometimes the destination is not the point, but the journey. If we look at life as having meaning...why not do it right the first time and enjoy it. We don't get out of here alive...so rushing to what end...dying, perhaps we need to stop and smell the roses, admire the chooks sunbathing (true meaning of life is already discovered by our chickens, eh!).

I remember once decorating a rodeo parade float for our exhibition poultry club and one of the parents commented, "You try to do everything perfect!" and I was tying knots double so they would not let loose along the parade route. Yuppers, my motto has always been, "Why do it wrong when you can do it right the first time." Double knotted, takes a bit more effort and time but then I can drive the float and not worry something will fly off and go missing. I can relax and enjoy the reward of knowing everything is secure and we can just enjoy.

John Robert Wooden:
Along the same lines, there are those that seem busy...doing what, we are never sure of what. Some persons make it look easy, lickity split they are done but ask yourself, some are talented to the point they make hard things look easy and there are the ones that have done something a million times and we should hope, they do it quickly AND well...practise should make perfect.
gig.gif

John Robert Wooden:
The courage to give it a go and try it. You never EVER get let down if you never bother to try ... you can't fail (or succeed) if'n you never try. Safe to me is being sorry you never put yourself out there. You never get to know the limits unless you push it. Then you can throttle it back a notch if you do end up teetering on the edge of precipice.
lol.png

John Robert Wooden:
Ain't that the truth...even the bad times make you appreciate the good ones more. Blessed...always though sometimes, we can't quite figure out the good part...but eventually, we see the light.
big_smile.png

John Robert Wooden::
I also like that saying where a friend is someone that knows everything about you and yet, still likes you for being you. LOL
hugs.gif

Semitic Proverb:
knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keeping what is worth keeping, and,

with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away.

Yeh despite my faults and failures...there are still those that still tolerate moi!
tongue.png
Course you don't find out the ones that you rubbed wrong until you think you'll drop by and they moved and never sent their forwarding address to you...
hmm.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Tara, well I haven't moved, and you know where to find me.
wee.gif

You always make people here feel welcome...and I bet if the girls and I showed up regularly, we'd know exactly what flavour of ice cream we needed to bring with us each time!
tongue.png

The girls were so cute...the evening of the sixteenth...we took the St. Pat's decorations out for the bus and they came along...knew they were not allowed ON the bus but first step...that was OK...

Inspectors...always!

No question, it is spring...
ya.gif

We got mucky places

We got icy places

We have snowed in patches

Places that are half snow and half mud

The field where we run the dogs is some what interesting...
tongue.png

Lacy trying to return with the floppy only to abandon it when the ice started cracking...diet time Lace?

Emmy getting wet retrieving the flop Lacy left behind
Her tail kills me..."If I sink, they'll find me by the flag tail!"

Styra eating snow thinking..."Those kids...better be careful on that ice!"

Bit of a Lake Higgins in the pasture but that is always a sign of spring...water melting and filling up and then one day, ground thaws and all drains off.
droolin.gif

Egg production on the rise is another sure sign of spring.
big_smile.png

Partridge, Buff and White Chantecler eggs

But maybe not enough to make one of these for the living room...
barnie.gif

Like who thinks of these things...hee hee...

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Back
Top Bottom