Join me on my Classroom Hatch-A-Long, support and advice appreciated!

Pics
I leave my vents open on my incubator.
Why did you decide to incubate at 50% humidity? I'd do 35-45% max.
@MGG @CluckNDoodle vents? humidity for NR360?

For me personally, it's vents wide open and I aim for 45% humidity as a sweet spot in the NR360s for optimal hatches with little to no adjustment to humidity when monitoring weight or air cell development but I have successfully hatched in the NR360 following the instructions as well, I just fiddled with it over time.

I'm hoping, if I have any RIR and LB crosses that they will still be auto-sexing (but reading some other threads on the forums tell me this is not so).
The new pullets should be light green layers though!
For me personally, it's vents wide open and I aim for 45% humidity as a sweet spot in the NR360s for optimal hatches with little to no adjustment to humidity when monitoring weight or air cell development but I have successfully hatched in the NR360 following the instructions as well, I just fiddled with it over time.
Thank you!

The new pullets should be light green layers though!

Yep, I'll have 3 possible egg colors... (I did a mental series of Punnett squares!) They will either be brown-- RIR x RIR, green-- RIR x CLB (either way), or blue-- CLB x CLB. Of course, that's assuming I have fertilized eggs, they incubate successfully, and I get multiple pullets. To be honest, that's why I'm starting so many. If I get cockerels, I will raise them up to butcher size. If I get too many pullets (I only have room for about 5) then I will send some back to the farm down the road.

First day with the kids went AMAZING! They each chose an egg (letter) to keep track of. We calculated 5% of the original weight, and will weigh them again on Day 7 to make sure they are losing at an appropriate rate. I also set up 2 more hygrometers to calibrate with them so they know how to check for accuracy! Incubator was on exactly where it is supposed to be all day, so seems to be holding well!

A few questions about candling. When we take the eggs out to candle, should I remove all of them quickly and shut the incubator to keep the temp inside as stable as possible, and then put them all back in quickly (& carefully) once when finished? Or split them into 3 groups and take out 6 at a time which would mean opening the incubator at minimum 4 times to candle? Also, I am assuming the eggs would be ok during the candle as long as I keep it to 5 or so minutes, like when a hen leaves the nest for a little bit each day?

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I am thinking of taking a few eggs out on Friday (that is day 3 if set day tue is day 0, correct?) just to see if I can show the kids some veining. We will do a full candle on Day 7.

Anything else I should know or do/not do? Thanks so much!

A few questions about candling. When we take the eggs out to candle, should I remove all of them quickly and shut the incubator to keep the temp inside as stable as possible, and then put them all back in quickly (& carefully) once when finished? Or split them into 3 groups and take out 6 at a time which would mean opening the incubator at minimum 4 times to candle? Also, I am assuming the eggs would be ok during the candle as long as I keep it to 5 or so minutes, like when a hen leaves the nest for a little bit each day?

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I am thinking of taking a few eggs out on Friday (that is day 3 if set day tue is day 0, correct?) just to see if I can show the kids some veining. We will do a full candle on Day 7.

I always just take the whole lid off and candle at once. It's honestly quicker than taking it on and off, I think. Plus, the NR360 lid is the only thing I don't like - it's hard to take on and off.

I haven't had any eggs that have been fertilized so I am FAR from an expert. But I know talking to at least one person that had a good hatch they also took the top off and just candled. a broody will get off the nest for a half hour or so a day depending on temps etc (mine if warmer will be off for up to an hour and if cold won't get off at all) so having the top off for even a half hour is fine and won't harm the eggs..... (this is what I have heard from others. again no proof of my own besides what my broody has done the last week that she has been broody and sitting on her fake and a day of real eggs).

I always just take the whole lid off and candle at once. It's honestly quicker than taking it on and off, I think. Plus, the NR360 lid is the only thing I don't like - it's hard to take on and off.
I have to take the eggs to the closet to candle I think. I have a huge walk-in closet where the kids hang their coats. The outlets are not near there, so I’ll have to bring the eggs back and forth. Was thinking of putting all of them in a clean carton, closing the incubator, candling with the kids (they can all fit in the space, it really is huge), and then carrying the carton back to return all the eggs. Is that too complicated? Otherwise I have to candle in the room, and there are lots of windows so it would be hard to block out light.

I have to take the eggs to the closet to candle I think. I have a huge walk-in closet where the kids hang their coats. The outlets are not near there, so I’ll have to bring the eggs back and forth. Was thinking of putting all of them in a clean carton, closing the incubator, candling with the kids (they can all fit in the space, it really is huge), and then carrying the carton back to return all the eggs. Is that too complicated? Otherwise I have to candle in the room, and there are lots of windows so it would be hard to block out light.
That makes sense. I'd be worried about dropping some, though. (Granted, I'm super clumsy)

Back
Top Bottom