Joined because I felt like a bother to my vet :(

gabbi824

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2016
Hi everyone I really hope I can get some help from you all. I recently bought 7 chicKS in April and they were doing well up until one died last week. She was diagnosed with "sour crop" and we tried our best to empty her crop and give her the meds the vet gave us but she unfortunately passed away later in the afternoon of an unknown cause. Now I have another chick that looks like she is starting to get sour crop and every chicken book I have read says give them plain yogurt and take the fred away..my concern is sour crop is like a yeast infection won't the dairy bother it more? They have clean water bowls and feed bowls there is no mold in the food and they have grass time for half the day until the evening I just don't want to go through the horror of watching another chick die...they are laying they are about 6 months old..any advice?

Hello and Welcome to BYC.

So sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif

I would suggest you post the question under emergencies, I have no experience with Sour Crop but sounds like you are correct that this is something different.

Is the "grass time" on cut lawn, if not and the grass is too tall you could be dealing with crop or gizzard impaction?
Are there pesticides/fertilizers used on the grass?

I would not worry about "bothering the vet". Bet they would want to know about the outcome of the first chick and another showing the same symptoms. If I were you, I would call them tomorrow am and ask for help.

Grass time is cut and non pesticide are used. We are an organic farm so there is no harmful chemicals used anywhere on the property. I will deff re-post in the emergency section (once I figure out how to). Fortuantly this baby chick is no where near as bad as the other one, but I would much rather catch it sooner than later. Thank you for the best wishes :)

long blades of grass can cause crop problems. Vet's are well compensated by client fees whether vet is right or wrong just like human patients.

Welcome to backyard chickens! I am sorry you are having trouble. here is what i do for it.

Sour crop is a potentially fatal condition that occurs when a hen's crop does not fully empty and a bacterial yeast infection results. The following can cause sour crop; inadequate access to grit; consuming long, fibrous grass, weeds and other plant fibers; excessive amounts of bread or pasta; eating wood chips, sand, string or twine; moldy feed.

Sour crop is identified by a squishy, soft, engorged crop, sour breath and possibly some liquid coming out of the hens's mouth. To treat sour crop, massage the crop in the direction of the head to try to induce vomiting and feed the hen yogurt, olive or vegetable oil and water with apple cider vinegar in it along with additional grit to aid in digesting the mass. Withhold all other solid foods and continue to massage the crop gently several times a day until the condition improves.

Back
Top Bottom