Joining the group with silkie chicks

dawn secord

Songster
May 12, 2016
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

Excited to be here. I've had chickens as pets for 25 years - but am absolutely a novice. I have some "Freeloaders" rescue chickens - a lovely leghorn rooster named Charlton and a tiny bantam hen referred to as "his lady friend". They are in a coop by themselves. Then I have two old silkie hens with two of the aforementioned's kids.

I've recently purchased 3 silkie chicks that I am hand raising in my home. I'm illustrating a children's book and they are going to be characters, so this time around I purchased show silkies. I'm pretty sure the blue is a boy. There is also what appears to be a light partridge and then the third, a dark patridge. With my old silkies, when they were chicks, one was a rooster. He turned out to be the orneriest of orneries so he was placed with another chicken person.

Here comes my question, are silky roosters by nature generally gentle or are they more aggressive?

Sure hope all of mine turn out to be pullets. Fingers crossed.

Thank you! Dawn
smile.png

Trying to figure out how to use the site. Just made my chicks my avatar. I think the blue is a boy (dang it). The partridge is soooo sweet. The buff (or maybe light partridge) Any ideas on the sex by anyone? I know - wait 4 - 8 months!

is tolerating me.

I'm sorry but I am not seeing a blue silkie. The third in your grouping looks to be a buff (right side of page).

There are several dedicated silkie threads by color: BBS, Buff, Paint, and "Nothing but Partridge silkies". Another great character for your book would be a Showgirl. Showgirls (applies to both genders) have naked necks and tend to look like feather dusters. Checkout the "Showgirls thread" if you want to be surprised.

Interesting - will check it out. The buff has a gray stripe down her back and the wing feathers are coming in mutli-colored as a partridge does. Will be interested to see what she turns out. What color do you think the left one is - black?

My silkie chicks are now 9 weeks old and they are making some cooing noises that are really sweet. Do the males or females usually make that noise? Generally they do it when they are in for the night.

Back
Top Bottom