1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Joining the group with silkie chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dawn secord, May 14, 2016.

1. dawn secord

dawn secord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    Hi all,

Excited to be here. I've had chickens as pets for 25 years - but am absolutely a novice. I have some "Freeloaders" rescue chickens - a lovely leghorn rooster named Charlton and a tiny bantam hen referred to as "his lady friend". They are in a coop by themselves. Then I have two old silkie hens with two of the aforementioned's kids.

I've recently purchased 3 silkie chicks that I am hand raising in my home. I'm illustrating a children's book and they are going to be characters, so this time around I purchased show silkies. I'm pretty sure the blue is a boy. There is also what appears to be a light partridge and then the third, a dark patridge. With my old silkies, when they were chicks, one was a rooster. He turned out to be the orneriest of orneries so he was placed with another chicken person.

Here comes my question, are silky roosters by nature generally gentle or are they more aggressive?

Sure hope all of mine turn out to be pullets. Fingers crossed.

Thank you! Dawn[​IMG]

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
  3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :welcome
    I'm also illustrating children's books I helped to write

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    Thank you!

6. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    That is awesome!!

7. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    Trying to figure out how to use the site. Just made my chicks my avatar. I think the blue is a boy (dang it). The partridge is soooo sweet. The buff (or maybe light partridge) Any ideas on the sex by anyone? I know - wait 4 - 8 months! [​IMG]

is tolerating me.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry but I am not seeing a blue silkie. The third in your grouping looks to be a buff (right side of page).

There are several dedicated silkie threads by color: BBS, Buff, Paint, and "Nothing but Partridge silkies". Another great character for your book would be a Showgirl. Showgirls (applies to both genders) have naked necks and tend to look like feather dusters. Checkout the "Showgirls thread" if you want to be surprised.

9. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    Interesting - will check it out. The buff has a gray stripe down her back and the wing feathers are coming in mutli-colored as a partridge does. Will be interested to see what she turns out. What color do you think the left one is - black?

10. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    My silkie chicks are now 9 weeks old and they are making some cooing noises that are really sweet. Do the males or females usually make that noise? Generally they do it when they are in for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by