Josie ... Wonder mum ❤

ButtonNomies

Songster
Jul 17, 2022
So I got gifted a 5ft tank for my grow out tank this year. Hatched 11 chicks out (redbreasteds, silvers and whites) they were making an absolute mess of their brooder and are now a week old so I've transferred them over to this big tank.
VideoCapture_20230218-184801.jpg
20230223_142642.jpg

They have a heat lamp and a heat mat but I was still worried about them getting cold with such a huge space, so I risked it and put my Josie in with them ....

Not even 5 minutes later ... theyre HERS!
VideoCapture_20230224-172706.jpg

Her mate Hop isn't as impressed ... but he's not attacking them just staying back and watching his missus with her bubbas. He does have a lil shadow tho of one of the redbreasted chicks ... just following him around ... love me PLEASE 🤣

Wow how did she accept the chicks so fast is she broody?
Shes always been the Foster mum of older chicks (fully feathered) and she does go broody but she gets bored of sitting on eggs but adores chicks. I wouldnt have tried it with any other pair but since they hatched Josie has been "den mother"

I think u need the right temperament pair to do this successfully xx

So she will just adopt chicks anytime? Thats cool I have never heard of that.
Normally I've waited til 3-4 weeks to introduce her to a hatch, she's never been given access to them this young before but she's absolutely loving it ❤ She's trilling at Hop if he gets too close tho so she's already super protective of them n it's not even been an hour yet 🥰🥰🥰

Normally I've waited til 3-4 weeks to introduce her to a hatch, she's never been given access to them this young before but she's absolutely loving it ❤ She's trilling at Hop if he gets too close tho so she's already super protective of them n it's not even been an hour yet 🥰🥰🥰
One of my chickens is kind of the same way. She goes broody all the time and if I give her chicks she will adopt them instantly and start taking care of them. She is a great mother for about 5 weeks then she has had enough of the babies and starts chasing them off 😅

Back
Top Bottom