Judge my coop & run :)

The converted dog house is 1.045m tall so house does this play in the calculations as i only did the floor space?
More height = more air volume for better air quality inside the coop, and taller walls make it easier to add ventilation above the roost where you need it most.
I was told one chicken is lonely and two always fight for leader status and that 3 was the golden number... is this true?
3 is the recommended minimum, in part because this way if something happens to 1 bird, the survivors still have each other.
So in terms of the ventilation do need to cut a huge hole in the top of the house or just more breathing holes?
Bigger openings are better since it's hard to add enough small openings to provide the needed amount of ventilation, but you need to take into consideration things like prevailing wind direction when placing vents. Vents will also need to be protected from the weather while being kept open 24/7, so that's where things like top hinged vent covers, louvered covers, baffles, etc. can help.

How many chickens do you have in this again?
It's empty at this time though I am getting it ready.

So it seems I'll cut some bigger ventilation and put weather protection above the cutout.

I'll try for three and let them walk in my garden though will they eat all my fruit/veggies or can they be somewhat trained?

Thanks again all

It's empty at this time though I am getting it ready.

So it seems I'll cut some bigger ventilation and put weather protection above the cutout.

I'll try for three and let them walk in my garden though will they eat all my fruit/veggies or can they be somewhat trained?

Thanks again all
They will likely eat your veggies. Fence the chickens or fence the veggies - either way works!

Question about the ventilation holes, should use the cutout to make a door with with hinges to open/close based on the season or just make a window that's always open and just put a nice window eave on top to protect from rain?

From what I read heat is the bigger concern as they can handle the cold right...

Question about the ventilation holes, should use the cutout to make a door with with hinges to open/close based on the season or just make a window that's always open and just put a nice window eave on top to protect from rain?

From what I read heat is the bigger concern as they can handle the cold right...
open 24/7 with protection from windblown precipitation is the preferred approach to ventilation.

When it comes to ventilation you need to think square feet rather than square inches or, since you're in Australia, square meters instead of square centimeters. ;)

Chickens easily tolerate temperatures down to 0F (-17C), and even below if they are dry and out of the wind. But they can start to seriously suffer at temperatures above 85-90F (30-32C), depending on what they're acclimated to and how suddenly the temperatures rose.

can you give us a better picture of how the run roof connects to the coop? it looks like there’s a really big gap that something could get in

Attachments

• F0E0F370-7F4E-4945-9B9E-617C42BDA27D.jpeg
    F0E0F370-7F4E-4945-9B9E-617C42BDA27D.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 4
Probably easier to top hinge, since that gives you more option in case weather takes a turn for the worse. It should never be fully closed but by having the top hinged panel over it you can open it up more in hot weather, and drop it down to partially cover in windy/rainy weather to help keep the elements out while still allowing air flow.

A fully open "window" with an overhang works well in most cases, though if you ever get any sideways winds the overhang won't work as well as a top hinged cover.

Back
Top Bottom