Julia Child here I come

lynnemabry

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Beautiful Lake County
My small EE rooster wrote his death sentence last week when he turned into a fighter.
We did the deed yesterday. My DH did the dirty deed, he reports that it is better to be more vicious, that it is more humane,
I plucked and he gutted and I get to cook.

A scrawny bird with a fair amount of fat, but looking a little more like dark meat all over.
Since he is about a year old I believe I will be making Coque au Vin.
Julia Child here I come.
As this is our first we will celebrate by using a "good" bottle of wine.

This whole thing was totally doable. And now that the bird is sitting in the fridge looking like a store bought bird
I can see doing this again.

Coque au Vin is a great idea and a wonderful dish for older tough roosters, I love the old story of how the recipe was concocted. Just remember the longer the better on cook time and a whole cut up potato laying in the broth and discarded after cooking can really help take away alot of the gamey flavor.

AL

Good for you, and good post. I was just reading yet another thread about what to do with all those roosters. Enjoy your meal! It should be authentic, for sure.

At least 3-4 day's on an Older Rooster, that should really help and aging it in a brine will be even better.

AL

I wish they where blue, it was just the northern light on my table. Those were first two eggs, on the same day.

One EE lays a light olive green and the other a light brown.
My EE rooster is dinner.
Too bad I wanted to try for more green or even blue eggs layers if I got a broody going.
Plus they are just mutts I got at a livestock swap in Lakeport.

Quote:
Oh yeah I forgot about that one, it's very good and was originaly made with waterfowl, good idea
droolin.gif

AL

Back
Top Bottom