July 2021 Hatch-A-Long

I checked my broody girl yesterday. She's been pooping in the nest, and 4 of the 5 eggs have skid marks. :rolleyes: She's a youngster, and will be a year old in July. Some of the eggs have already been eaten--by her and the other girl in that coop, not me. But they are due to hatch in a week, so I'll just let her continue and see what happens. The ones in the incubator are more likely to hatch, and I plan to candle tonight.

We just got our box of hatching eggs this afternoon! I'm so relieved, as we're heading into a heat wave. Today is high 80's which is plenty for me, but Tuesday is forecast over 110 and that might be a real problem for eggs sitting on a truck somewhere. We will put them in the incubator tomorrow. This is our third round hatching this spring. We started with F1 olive eggers from our flock. Then we shipped eggs and hatched silver laced barnevelders (I'm so impressed with how smart that group is). This current group are cream legbars, and a few mosaics.

Good morning checked on my broody hen this morning. no pips or chirping yet I thinking one more week at least haven't candled the eggs yet will in a bit

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_074456506.jpg
    IMG_20210624_074456506.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 3
We put our shipped eggs in the incubator this morning. I was happy to see all but two had normal air cells. The other two seem attached ok, but are off slightly to one side. We put them upright in cut down egg cartons in the incubator and plan to do the first 72 hours with no turning. Anyone else done this? After the 72 hours, is it okay to lay them on their sides and turn as normal?

I have some shipped eggs due to hatch on the first. Its been a disappointing journey so far, so I've just about run out of any hope for these guys. I started with 16, and only have 6 left alive now. All blood rings at various times throughout incubation.

I am really down about it, and trying to figure out what I have done wrong. They were shipped in perfect shape, super fresh. Let them set fat end up for 24 hours. Started incubation without turning for a couple days. Then proceeded to turn them by hand 5 times a day so I could keep them fat end up in cut off egg cartons. Washing my hands really well every time.

I am suspicious that my incubator wasn't disinfected well enough, or that the polystyrene egg cartons weren't disinfected well enough either. I feel like its so hard to clean foam well! Or maybe humidity fluctuations? The temp has been nice and stable, but its super dry here and high altitude, so the humidity would drop from 40 to 25 by the end of each day.

Sigh. Sorry to be such a bummer!!

Back
Top Bottom