July 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
The most heartbreaking thing today. I discovered my silkies gone, feathers everywhere, and three bodies left behind. 8 grown hens and roosters and 6 chicks. I'll hold out hope that maybe someone will return over the next few days, but it's looking very grim.

What my family decided to do was gather all our eggs collected from them the past few days and buy a new incubator (another tragic misfortune caused our last one to break along with the batch that was meant to be hatching inside).
We have 12 eggs. One collected freshly today the last laid before the disaster, several more from the fridge and counter.
I'll be using a nurture right 360 I picked up today. I really loved my old machine so I have high hopes for this one too.
I'm setting them tomorrow to let the chilled eggs warm up a bit and make sure the incubator is working right tonight. So the hatch date will likely be around August 1st.
I'd start an august thread, but this is a bit too sad for that. So I'll just borrow this one for a bit and hang out here until the mood is lighter again.

I'm so sad to lose my fluffy birds. I'm hoping I can still have something of them left.

First baby Cream Legbar to hatch and it's a girl!!! So excited. She's at least a day early. I set them under my broody buff Orpington on the evening of June 30th so calculated hatch date to be 21st to 22nd of July. Nope. This little girl was in a hurry.
Update: One more hatched last night and this morning, two more! One egg to go... All 4 chicks look like girls to me. YAY!! So in love with these babies.

Attachments

• cream legbar girls.2 20210721.jpg
    cream legbar girls.2 20210721.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 22
  • cream legbar girls.1 20210721.jpg
    cream legbar girls.1 20210721.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 18
I set shipped eggs last night. Heritage Rhode Island Reds from show stock. they arrived super fast, in 2 days from shipping all the way from Massachusetts. Of course my post office had to screw up. Not only do they ignore large instructions like hold for pickup, but they crushed the box. I know it was them as the eggs had just started to leak out and the yolks of the broken ones were still runny. Which means I will be renting a post office box where I used to live, which is actually closer to me than the new post office.

Two of mine hatched late yesterday, Day 21. I set the eggs in the incubator late in the evening, so it's not quite Day 22 yet. A third egg is pipped and peeping. One that I dropped on Day 16 and sealed with wax has a little movement and the very beginning of a pip on the pointed side of the egg. Here are Chick #1 and Chick #2.
20210709_060351.jpg
20210709_060355.jpg

First baby Cream Legbar to hatch and it's a girl!!! So excited. She's at least a day early. I set them under my broody buff Orpington on the evening of June 30th so calculated hatch date to be 21st to 22nd of July. Nope. This little girl was in a hurry.

Attachments

• cream legbar.1a 20210720.jpg
    cream legbar.1a 20210720.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 7
  • cream legbar.1b 20210720.jpg
    cream legbar.1b 20210720.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 10
I’ll join this hatch-a-long🐤😀!! I have 14 silkie eggs in my incubator right now and I’m currently on day 7!!! I’m so excited and hoping I have a good hatch rate. They’re eggs that came out of a “blue pen” so I’m hoping to get some lavender and porcelain babies ❤️

Attachments

• 355478C8-089D-435D-AF31-4349BD04AE80.jpeg
    355478C8-089D-435D-AF31-4349BD04AE80.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom