August 2023 hatch-a-long

I'd probably pull one inside....

But thats based on watching non broodies with chicks....

Maybe your broody will accept...but I like to play it safe šŸ’—šŸ’—
I would try sneaking it under her. Iā€™ve had a hen accept chicks that were a week younger than the others.
But if you feel like it, you could play it safe and keep the chick inside.
I'll try tomorrow, I think. It's gonna be really cold tonight.

Sorry that you ended up with a lonely chick!
Hope the hen will adopt it :)

I am feeling a bit nerve wrecked right now.

Incubator says 2 days left on my duck eggs, which really means 4 more days until day 35 (I set it to less so that the turner would stop 4 days before hatch)

One looks fine, one I couldnā€™t see any movement and it has small dark blobs here and there which may or may not be normal.

#4ā€¦ well i think i saw 2 roundish shadows in the air sac, but no noise and itā€™s really hard to tell if it is maybe internal pips. Can such shadows not be pips?

Of course when I went to take a photo it was gone. And then I got worried the egg would get cold so I put it back in. Iā€™ll try for a photo later today (and will likely post a separate thread for more help as well then)

So exciting to be close to a new hatch, but Iā€™ve never been this worried at the same time XD

Well, definitely have an internal pip now! And heard a chirp :fl
edit: make that 2 internal pips, but not in the same egg...

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
My friend took a few pictures of the chicks today. The last 2 look like they are Cream Legbar mixes, due to the crests on their heads. Iā€™m super excited about that! I love crests! And feathered feet! My guess is that the 2nd (the light one) is a boy, and the 3rd (the brown one) is a girl. Unfortunately the one pure breed Cream Legbar egg that was developing didnā€™t hatch:(
The last picture is of the Americauna chicks that I hatched in July. They are so big compared to when I left! They were about 3 weeks old when we left, and they are about 7 weeks old now. I can just see all the boys Iā€™m going to have to deal with when I get back.

Attachments

• IMG_7399.jpeg
    IMG_7399.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7404.jpeg
    IMG_7404.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7409.jpeg
    IMG_7409.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7410.jpeg
    IMG_7410.jpeg