July 4th Hatch-A-Long?

I just gave my broody Splash Australorp 4 Australorp eggs. She's been real serious on staying in the nestbox, so I decided to try her out. If all goes well, they are due to hatch on July 7th. The chicks could hatch out any of my 3 colors of them, but will probably be a better chance of the blacks and blues.

Two hoots & a hollar from mississippi!! I set 18 eggs June 11, for a target hatch date July 2nd-4th. The rooster is a Rhode Island Red (RIR), he has a gaggle of 6 hens, one Plymouth Rock Barred (PRB) and five Rhode Island Red (RIR).

Well, last night I went out there just as the sun was going to go down. Precious was out in the pen with the rest of the flock. It looked like some color was starting to come back into her comb and wattle. Then I seen her get up there where the rest of them all roost at night. Today when I went out there, she was still out there with the others in the pen, and even more color was now in her comb and wattles. I guess that she gave it up, so I threw away those 4 eggs because I really didn't want to do a hatch with it being this hot over here. I'm out of this now.

Hi All,

I'd love to join the July Hatch-A-Long though I feel I'm way out of my league! I am trying to hatch chicks for the first time and am nervous and worried that I won't get it right. If I do, they'll be Fourth of July chicks!

I am a city-gal, backyard farmer and last year one of my hen-chicks turned into Randy Rooster. I've got nine hens and Randy is more than willing to do his part, so here goes.
Randy Rooster 5.jpg

I thought it would be simple. I'd just wait for one of the hens to go broody so she could take care of the eggs and raise the chicks. I'd just enjoy the show and take pictures.

Well, none of that happened.

First off, none of my hens went broody. Last year I had three but this year? Not a one.
The second problem is Randy Rooster's horrid behavior. Seriously, the poor hens should have him arrested for sexual assault. He just grabs the nearest hen by the neck and has his way with her. Is this normal rooster behavior? For a city gal like me, it takes a bit of getting used to...

Randy Rooster 7.jpg

At any rate, he was so rough with the girls that by May they were losing feathers and getting sores on their backs so I had to separate them. So when June came, I had no broody and no sperm donor. Things weren't looking good.

Fortunately, I'd discovered a wonderful Pennsylvania farmer at BYC who designs 'hen saddles' to protect hens from amorous roosters (Who knew???) So I put them on my girls and reunited them with Randy.
hen saddles 2.JPG

But still no broody. After a week, I started to worry that the saddles were interfering with the hens' grooming and dirt bathing so I took them off and sent Randy back to isolation. (How long is it safe to leave clothes on chickens??) After another week of waiting for a broody I finally gave up and bought an incubator.

I put the saddles back on the hens, Randy did what he does, I collected the eggs and put them in the incubator where I hope they are turning into baby chickens! Today is day six so tomorrow night I will try my hand at candling for the first time.
incubator.jpg

Oh, and two days after the eggs went into the incubator, one of the hens went broody.

More later...

Hi All,

I'd love to join the July Hatch-A-Long though I feel I'm way out of my league! I am trying to hatch chicks for the first time and am nervous and worried that I won't get it right. If I do, they'll be Fourth of July chicks!

I am a city-gal, backyard farmer and last year one of my hen-chicks turned into Randy Rooster. I've got nine hens and Randy is more than willing to do his part, so here goes.
View attachment 1047872
I thought it would be simple. I'd just wait for one of the hens to go broody so she could take care of the eggs and raise the chicks. I'd just enjoy the show and take pictures.

Well, none of that happened.

First off, none of my hens went broody. Last year I had three but this year? Not a one.
The second problem is Randy Rooster's horrid behavior. Seriously, the poor hens should have him arrested for sexual assault. He just grabs the nearest hen by the neck and has his way with her. Is this normal rooster behavior? For a city gal like me, it takes a bit of getting used to...

View attachment 1047874
At any rate, he was so rough with the girls that by May they were losing feathers and getting sores on their backs so I had to separate them. So when June came, I had no broody and no sperm donor. Things weren't looking good.

Fortunately, I'd discovered a wonderful Pennsylvania farmer at BYC who designs 'hen saddles' to protect hens from amorous roosters (Who knew???) So I put them on my girls and reunited them with Randy.
View attachment 1047875
But still no broody. After a week, I started to worry that the saddles were interfering with the hens' grooming and dirt bathing so I took them off and sent Randy back to isolation. (How long is it safe to leave clothes on chickens??) After another week of waiting for a broody I finally gave up and bought an incubator.

I put the saddles back on the hens, Randy did what he does, I collected the eggs and put them in the incubator where I hope they are turning into baby chickens! Today is day six so tomorrow night I will try my hand at candling for the first time.
View attachment 1047878
Oh, and two days after the eggs went into the incubator, one of the hens went broody.

More later...
Holy cow great story! And yes, some roosters can be quite rough, although as they get older they often become much more gentlemanly.

Well, good luck on your hatch, I am sure you will do just fine. I tried candling my eggs early this morning and had no luck seeing a dang thing. Im hoping I just need new batteries for my flashlight as I have always been able to see growth by day 3 (on past hatches) and now I am on 7 with nothing much to see.

Anyway, good luck!

Yea! I'm im I just put EEs and Mille Fleur eggs in yesterday!! I had a surprise hatch Saturday with a "fart" egg my mother wanted me to try and hatch. I never could see any movement, the eggshell was dark and thick, it hatched the day before I was going to toss the poor thing. Needless to say the poor thing thinks I'm mama and squawks if not touching me...the little thing can run fast too! These 2 hatched same day and hens are same size, only the
20170620_084255.jpg
eggs were different sizes.

I had these eggs from Montana 9 hrs from home, and under 3 broodies, and some in an incubator. the incubator got too hot, maybe saved 1, 2 broodies fought, broke eggs. I am down to 5. Still under one broody.

Attachments

• dawnacus 395.jpg
    dawnacus 395.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 2
And yes, some roosters can be quite rough, although as they get older they often become much more gentlemanly.

Well, good luck on your hatch, I am sure you will do just fine. I tried candling my eggs early this morning and had no luck seeing a dang thing. Im hoping I just need new batteries for my flashlight as I have always been able to see growth by day 3 (on past hatches) and now I am on 7 with nothing much to see.

Thanks for the encouraging words about Randy. He's back in his bachelor pad and pining. I hope new batteries do the trick. Good luck

Yea! I'm im I just put EEs and Mille Fleur eggs in yesterday!! I had a surprise hatch Saturday with a "fart" egg my mother wanted me to try and hatch. I never could see any movement, the eggshell was dark and thick, it hatched the day before I was going to toss the poor thing. Needless to say the poor thing thinks I'm mama and squawks if not touching me...the little thing can run fast too!

Great picture! I'm still new at this so could you tell me what a ''fart'' egg is? I'd love to see pictures of your EEs and Mille Fleurs. (I'm still learning what different breeds look like).

Back
Top Bottom