July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
My chicks are hatching a day early :)!
20200703_161812.jpg

20200703_161826.jpg

2 have hatched and lots have pipped!
Early birds :lol:

So I got a new set of black East Indie eggs from a different breeder. Every time I have ordered this year the eggs inside have been toasted. This time I paid extra for priority express. It paid off as I found I went from half the eggs with detached air cells, to only one with noticeable detachment. Others are just saddled. I put them in the incubator setup vertical. I will look at them Monday or Tuesday the adjust them to lay down in the turner. So fingers crossed. I haven’t had a lots of luck with black East Indie.

Today was day 14, so I candled all of the Brinsea incubator eggs. These were the "rainbow" mix from MPC.
None of the blue eggs, were viable. None of the "Mystery", small tan probably bantam eggs were either.
I can not see anything whatsoever in the very dark BCM eggs, There's something in there tho, it's a very dark blob that doesn't allow light to shine through, so I put them back in the incubator. Last week I do think I saw some veining, so I'm hoping that it means that they've grown and I just can't see any detail at all now in those very dark brown eggs.
However, my Delaware eggs can be seen, and most of them have veining and movement.
So I have some hope.

I am brand new at this....this is my first ever hatch. I just had to crack all the eggs that I saw with "the ring of death", or suspected had no chick at all. I was scared to do it, but my desire to confirm what I "thought" I was seeing won out. I'm glad I did, each egg was unviable. One was a quitter, all the others were scrambled messes of yolk and not much more. Some had brownish liquid in them, none of them smelled bad tho.
I also weighed and candled all my Salmon Favorolle eggs, they are a week younger. The eggs are light brown, dark tan...and I only see veins in a few, but again, they're darker than white and being so inexperienced, I put all but one back. I was fairly certain it was a clear. Cracked that one too and I think I was wrong. Quite a bit of tiny veins and a clear eye. So although I probably killed a chick, I learned something too. I learned that I shouldn't give up on anyone, especially a tinted egg, until at least week 2, just to be safe. :hit
It's hard to believe though, that the first set of eggs will be going into lockdown just 4 days from now. I'm definitely not counting my chicks before they hatch. I'll be thankful if only a few make it. I'm giving up on that "beginners luck" thing. :tongue

Today was day 14, so I candled all of the Brinsea incubator eggs. These were the "rainbow" mix from MPC.
None of the blue eggs, were viable. None of the "Mystery", small tan probably bantam eggs were either.
I can not see anything whatsoever in the very dark BCM eggs, There's something in there tho, it's a very dark blob that doesn't allow light to shine through, so I put them back in the incubator. Last week I do think I saw some veining, so I'm hoping that it means that they've grown and I just can't see any detail at all now in those very dark brown eggs.
However, my Delaware eggs can be seen, and most of them have veining and movement.
So I have some hope.

I am brand new at this....this is my first ever hatch. I just had to crack all the eggs that I saw with "the ring of death", or suspected had no chick at all. I was scared to do it, but my desire to confirm what I "thought" I was seeing won out. I'm glad I did, each egg was unviable. One was a quitter, all the others were scrambled messes of yolk and not much more. Some had brownish liquid in them, none of them smelled bad tho.
I also weighed and candled all my Salmon Favorolle eggs, they are a week younger. The eggs are light brown, dark tan...and I only see veins in a few, but again, they're darker than white and being so inexperienced, I put all but one back. I was fairly certain it was a clear. Cracked that one too and I think I was wrong. Quite a bit of tiny veins and a clear eye. So although I probably killed a chick, I learned something too. I learned that I shouldn't give up on anyone, especially a tinted egg, until at least week 2, just to be safe. :hit
It's hard to believe though, that the first set of eggs will be going into lockdown just 4 days from now. I'm definitely not counting my chicks before they hatch. I'll be thankful if only a few make it. I'm giving up on that "beginners luck" thing. :tongue
I feel like I'm on this journey with you since mine go into lockdown in just 3 more days! In my case, I candled everything on Day 7. Out of 15 Cream Legbars, 11 were viable. Out of 14 Bielefelders, 8 were viable and my BCM were too difficult to see into most of but I know that 3 out of 18 were viable. I've been too afraid to candle again so I'm waiting until day 18 when it's time for lock-down before I candle and I'm not sure I'll pull any eggs even then (unless the smell bad). Somehow it seems that if I don't candle them I can keep pretending they will all hatch :idunnoOf course I know better but hey, I'm good at ignoring reality... either way, time will tell. I'll update again in 3 days when I finally HAVE TO face the truth! Good luck to us both! :pop

Back
Top Bottom