July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
So I had my “last” hatch for July on Sunday/Monday. Ended up with 9 little silkies and 8 silkie/faverolle mixes. They are super cute! Then yesterday afternoon I got some new adult silkies and some chicks! They also came with almost 2 dozen eggs that are in different stages of development! The lady I got them from took them from under different broodies and brought them to my house. About an hour drive. I put them straight into the bator that was still on from my last chick hatching yesterday morning. Do you guys think these eggs have any chance? I candled them and some were still moving around. I just have absolutely no idea what day they are on or anything. Some looked to be almost ready to hatch and some look to be on day 7. I’ve got them all I. The same incubator but might move the day 7 ones to another. I guess this is what you all call a staggered hatch. Just don’t know what to expect with these guys.
Give it a shot! Broodies go off nest for a while so as long as you put them in right away I bet they'll be fine.

Named this one Ariel because her iridescent colors remind me of a mermaid 🧜‍♀️ Think it’s a pullet. She was hatched with the Polish Deathlayers. Think they’re 14 or 15 weeks. I forget what HatchaLong I hatched her in 😂 I’m sure someone knows more than I do.

53DC8F01-EC64-4882-8119-B1335B6D0C1F.jpeg
4F37205F-96E1-451B-B8CE-FC02420D6716.jpeg

5CA80DE8-961A-49DC-B61B-79EE56E2A33A.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah well baby Rambo didn’t make it through the night. 😢Possibly should have culled, but it didn’t seem to be in pain...so hoping it at least died comfortably.

first time with an assisted hatch and poorly chick, so was a good learning experience, if nothing else.
So sorry to hear it. :hugs There's always shoulda-woulda-coulda. Second guessing ourselves. The bottom line--you did the best you could with the knowledge & resources you had. No one can do better than that.:hugs

So I had my “last” hatch for July on Sunday/Monday. Ended up with 9 little silkies and 8 silkie/faverolle mixes. They are super cute! Then yesterday afternoon I got some new adult silkies and some chicks! They also came with almost 2 dozen eggs that are in different stages of development! The lady I got them from took them from under different broodies and brought them to my house. About an hour drive. I put them straight into the bator that was still on from my last chick hatching yesterday morning. Do you guys think these eggs have any chance? I candled them and some were still moving around. I just have absolutely no idea what day they are on or anything. Some looked to be almost ready to hatch and some look to be on day 7. I’ve got them all I. The same incubator but might move the day 7 ones to another. I guess this is what you all call a staggered hatch. Just don’t know what to expect with these guys.
I think you should set up your other incubator as a hatcher, soon as it becomes available. I would candle the eggs every night. When I saw signs of internal pips, I'd move that/those eggs to the hatcher. Otherwise you end up having to subject the less-developed eggs to multiple periods of high humidity. In the past, on a mere 2-layered hatch, that hasn't turned out well for me. Since that sad experiment, I've had very good success with staggered hatches by simply moving out the impending hatchers to a second incubator.

I feel dumb asking because it’s made from corn, right? Chicks are okay with corn starch? One of these took a dunk in the colored chalk paint we made from water and corn starch.....

meanwhile, someone is super excited the broodies refused these Chicks so he has new playmates. 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 2255334
It's safe for kids I assume. I'm cure chickie will suffer no ill effects. 🥰

I feel dumb asking because it’s made from corn, right? Chicks are okay with corn starch? One of these took a dunk in the colored chalk paint we made from water and corn starch.....

meanwhile, someone is super excited the broodies refused these Chicks so he has new playmates. 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 2255334
I put corn starch on my chicks that are bleeding after an assist. It’s never harmed them. It’s natural so I wouldn’t worry.

Well we had some sad news but also some great news.....

mama decided to take her babies outside in the sunshine. And my other hen is being so good and gentle with the chicks too! She’s a model auntie 😍

View attachment 2255089

the kids gave them all names...if I wasn’t dealing with lice in the coop, I’d put the 4 in the brooder straight out with the others.

sunrise
Buffy
Anna
Elsa
Nugget
Dixie
Honey
I don't remember if you were using DE... someone said they were. It isn't effective enough to trust for killing parasites. I don't like poisons but sometimes one needs them. I haven't had this problem and don't know the best remedies, but searching or asking in the emergencies etc topic will get you some good info.

View attachment 2255334
It will be fine. Though it would be cool if it pooped a rainbow!
It could become the new spokeschick for Skittles.

Back
Top Bottom