July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Oh my gosh... I may be in trouble.
First group of eggs aren't even due to hatch until mid June, the June hatch a long is my first time to join one....and already I'm over here looking around all big eyed!

.....someone may need to take my candler away. 🥴
Do not come here looking for us to not enable you... We are the biggest enablers and will let you go mental with eggs. How do you think I have been hatching straight since October

@CindyinSD are you going to hatch in July 🥳
Not sure. I have enough birds to keep us well-supplied with meat (and certainly eggs). DH is really scared of the China virus and is against me selling chicks and hence speaking to actual, living breathing people. :rant 🙄 So, anything I hatch is mine and I've already hatched a LOT considering that. :oops:

I did sell all of my cattle except Eden and her calf. I think I underpriced them. Sold them to the first person who called, within hours of placing the ad. They cost enough to feed last winter that he was willing to take the chance for that, and they ARE really pricey to feed. 🤷‍♀️ I am sure getting tired of this whole covid thing.

Not sure. I have enough birds to keep us well-supplied with meat (and certainly eggs). DH is really scared of the China virus and is against me selling chicks and hence speaking to actual, living breathing people. :rant 🙄 So, anything I hatch is mine and I've already hatched a LOT considering that. :oops:

I did sell all of my cattle except Eden and her calf. I think I underpriced them. Sold them to the first person who called, within hours of placing the ad. They cost enough to feed last winter that he was willing to take the chance for that, and they ARE really pricey to feed. 🤷‍♀️ I am sure getting tired of this whole covid thing.
Me too

All made it to lockdown?
Well one of the eggs when I candled it this morning right before lockdown seemed like something was wrong with it, it sorta looked like half the egg was filled with an air sac and part of the air sac has veins in it. I hope all of them make it!

Last edited:
Well one of the eggs when I candled it this morning right before lockdown seemed like something was wrong with it, it sorta looked like half the egg was filled with an air sac and part of the air sac has veins in it. I hope all of them make it!
You could post pics if you like--people will assess them for you. I'm guessing that your egg is normal and that you may be a bit confused by what you're seeing, not yet understanding it.

You could post pics if you like--people will assess them for you. I'm guessing that your egg is normal and that you may be a bit confused by what you're seeing, not yet understanding it.
Here are pictures:
20200531_211550.jpg

20200531_211703.jpg

In the first picture it looks like the chick has drawn back and there's some liquid between it and the air cell. The fuzzy, shadowy bit at bottom left looks like this could be where the chick is pushing into the air cell. In this position the air cell seems very small, but that's just the angle. The air cell is the lightest bit at the tip of the egg, defined by a straight, diagonal, darker line between it (slightly lighter) and the non-air cell area, which contains the dark shape (the chick). It looks to me like your chick is about to break into the air cell. It looks good to me. I can't see the veins you're talking about, but there will be veins to see until the chick absorbs all the blood into its body.

The second picture shows the air cell a bit more clearly, but doesn't show much detail of the chick. The lightest part is the air cell.

I just took a picture of one of my goose eggs:

20320DA6-5DDD-4495-B8F2-12D52D3887FE.jpeg

That's my hand at the bottom and it's holding the flashlight. The light beam goes right into the air cell, in this case where it ought to be (as yours also is) at the broad end of the egg. If I had two hands, the other hand would be holding the rest of the egg. In this case the egg is balanced. I would not recommend doing it this way, but I haven't explained to DH that we are about to have four more goslings, so I had to do the pic myself. :oops::lau

It's easier to see what's going on inside if you occlude the whole of the air cell with the fleshy part of your flashlight hand, leaving only the tiniest bit of light at the border. This is the way I candle eggs--learned via trial and error. If you give it a go, you may like it better, or not. :p

Back
Top Bottom