July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Hi All, we are due for a nerve wracking hatch this week! This is Part 2 of our 2020 broody guinea in coop experiment. Part 1 was one month ago, when broody guinea hen Viceroy was given six fertile guinea eggs, four hatched (one other was malpositioned, and one egg disappeared!). Dominant hens Scout Red and Lemon Pie stole her babies and have done so well with raising them, but two keets were lost to a storm/black rat snake combo and one lost to electrocution after tangling on our electric poultry netting.

So for Part 2, I acquired some ridiculously expensive, rare colors guinea eggs with the expectation of dividing under four broody hens that I had after the keets hatched. Well, the black rat snake ended the broodiness of all but one, Welch. She’s not successfully hatched eggs before and I’m not thrilled about putting these under just her - talk about all of my eggs in one basket. However, after being broody for a good 7 weeks, I’ve finally removed her eggs and put the expensive eggs under her. Eggs are at 22 days today so should hatch by Friday- Sunday, possibly sooner. As if that’s not nerve wracking enough, I have to drive to Iowa Thursday and won’t be back until Saturday!!! Wish us luck!!! :fl
My neighbor has some that come through our yard every now and then. She has at least 4 different colors. They're beautiful! I like the light grey ones. Not sure what that color is called. Maybe lavender?

My neighbor has some that come through our yard every now and then. She has at least 4 different colors. They're beautiful! I like the light grey ones. Not sure what that color is called. Maybe lavender?
Sounds like lavender- one of my favorite colors!

Attachments

• F2E29ACF-CCCC-4068-A3A4-393B9A886596.jpeg
    F2E29ACF-CCCC-4068-A3A4-393B9A886596.jpeg
    911.1 KB · Views: 4
  • F393A562-A6BE-460E-9B3E-B11F14E6000C.jpeg
    F393A562-A6BE-460E-9B3E-B11F14E6000C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Sadness this morning. One of my Bielefelder babies is dying. He's noticeably smaller than the rest... like he hasn't grown at all except for wing feathers but not size. Yesterday he had pasty butt and this morning I find him breathing hard, lethargic, and offering no resistance to being picked up. I have no idea what to do for him. I have him next to me away from the flock but my heart aches for the little one and I feel completely helpless.

Sadness this morning. One of my Bielefelder babies is dying. He's noticeably smaller than the rest... like he hasn't grown at all except for wing feathers but not size. Yesterday he had pasty butt and this morning I find him breathing hard, lethargic, and offering no resistance to being picked up. I have no idea what to do for him. I have him next to me away from the flock but my heart aches for the little one and I feel completely helpless.
Sometimes you just get a sick chick that isn't going to make it. Its sad but its part of the hatching lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom