July Hatch-a-Long

I lost my Salmon Faverolles hen a week ago and, in a last-ditch effort to keep her genetics in my flock, I set her last six eggs yesterday afternoon in a hastily-ordered cheap incubator. I also set three eggs from my RIR (why not?). I've never incubated before and don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm hoping that at least some of the SF eggs will be viable. Fingers crossed. Both hens were bred to a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster, so any females that hatch will be green egg layers. :)

I lost my Salmon Faverolles hen a week ago and, in a last-ditch effort to keep her genetics in my flock, I set her last six eggs yesterday afternoon in a hastily-ordered cheap incubator. I also set three eggs from my RIR (why not?). I've never incubated before and don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm hoping that at least some of the SF eggs will be viable. Fingers crossed. Both hens were bred to a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster, so any females that hatch will be green egg layers. :)

Oh that sounds so awesome! I hope you have some SF hatch for you.

I hear you on it being a very long couple of weeks. I have to wait 4 weeks, because I am hatching ducks so it is 28 days! I am already looking at the eggs begging the time to fly by.

Best of luck to your hatch. Hopefully the time flies by, let us know how your eggs are progressing though.

Sorry you lost your hen. :( Hopefully all or most of the eggs will hatch for you. I set 5 eggs two weeks ago when my duck hen disappeared. I saw a raccoon in my yard that same evening she went missing before it was even dark out. I was sure it had taken her and come back looking for more. So I decided to hatch some of her babies. Well, several days later she decided to make a reappearance, after the eggs had already started to develop. I have no idea where she went. I searched my yard and all of the neighbors' yards. Nothing. She always quacks really loudly when she gets separated from the flock and I never heard her make a sound for all of those days she was missing. It was the strangest thing. And now I have 5 ducklings due to hatch on the 12 of July that I really don't need. It's always fun having babies around though.

This thread may help you too. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/little-giant-incubator-tricks.601352/page-172

Back
Top Bottom