July Hatch-a-long

Ten seconds probably won't do too much damage, but I have found that the more involved I get with a hatch the worse off the chicks are. They shouldn't have to deal with both birthing themselves and my silly human antics!

On the other hand, I have a pip! And lots of cheeping from the rest, so it looks like this show is starting early again.

OCD should be my middle name, lol! Yeah, keeping my grubby mitts outta the bator is tough, but necessary most times during lockdown. Let things happen naturally. So many variables involved in incubating to drive myself nuts, with my last hatch. Worst ever. 5 healthy chicks had hatched out of the 16 that made it to lockdown. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't assisted the other 5 at all. They ended up dying anyway. 6 eggs hadn't pipped at all by day 22. Candled & were all malpositioned & dead. Research indicates things went wonky after day 14. Air cells were not large enough by day 18. At lockdown I even tried to drop humidity to get the air cell larger, to no avail. Go fig! Going to use different hygrometer than the unit's own this time. Yeah, 2 broodies but going to split the 18 new eggs coming tomorrow between one broody & bator. Should be interesting! Keeping fingers crossed!

Ten seconds probably won't do too much damage, but I have found that the more involved I get with a hatch the worse off the chicks are. They shouldn't have to deal with both birthing themselves and my silly human antics!

On the other hand, I have a pip! And lots of cheeping from the rest, so it looks like this show is starting early again.
True, true! Good luck with your peeps & pips! :)

Day 23!

Some of them have pipped internally, but had to go into work, they are in a carton, so thinking I may need to take out the carton and lay them on their sides?

Nope. Let them be. They can hatch in a carton just fine. I've done both ways successfully.

And.... I had 1 of my 2 black ameruacanas harch! It's super cute. Candled the other egg and it was dead. Oh well. I have 1!

Now more waiting as the next week drags by before the next hatching starts!

Back
Top Bottom