July Hatch-A-Long

I will join! I just set a dozen barnyard mixes this morning! This will be my third hatch and my first time incubating my own eggs! My first two hatches were done with shipped eggs. At the end of my first hatch 0/5 hatched and at the end of my second 1/13 hatched. I am hoping to have a better hatch rate by using local eggs. The one chick that hatched from my second hatch turned out to be a Silver Campine rooster. We bought him some female chicks to grow up with and now they are old enough that I can set some of their eggs.

I am setting:

-2 Silver Campine X Golden Comet eggs
-2 Silver Campine X Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs
-2 Silver Campine X Speckled Sussex eggs
-2 Silver Campine X Black Australorp eggs
-2 Silver Campine X Barred Rock eggs
-2 Silver Campine X Easter Egger eggs

I am looking forward to seeing what the chicks will look like!
Cool, I hope you have a better hatch! Our first was with shipped eggs and got 0/4, I guess when you're new you just don't know that they can be challenging. We had our 2nd hatch yesterday with local eggs and did well : ) In the next week I hope to incubate eggs from the Seramas that I recently got. They have been laying for about a week and I can't wait to try.

My broody is expecting 7 Serama eggs to hatch tomorrow or the next day... I checked them out when she got up today I thought I might have heard peeping, but we have so many birds out here it's hard to tell. Mama is HUNGRY, I kept bringing food out and she seems anxious... maybe she is preparing to sit for a long while?? So excited!

1st hatch one out of 14...one 1/2 pipped and nothing more. Think the high humidity during lockdown is the cause as they all looked great going in. We did get our 1st olive egger finally!

Lockdown Wednesday so will update then...

AND the broody eggs are due today!!!!

LOCKDOWN!!

The babies just were placed into the egg tray. Humidity is still way too high, even for hatch...I keep having to manually add and subtract water and watch that hygrometer like a hawk. Ugh, the next several days are gonna be a VERY stressful. And sleepless.

I about to start all over after losing my flock to CRD. I have a neighbour whose 10 year old loves incubating so she's going to do the hatch for me. Some friends very kindly donated some of their fertilized eggs, but I can't set them until next Sunday. I'm hoping they make it without too much loss. Her bator only holds 10 eggs.

Of the 9 eggs in lockdown 3 now have external pip. First ones been pipped 13 hours egg does a lot of rocking but no zipping yet.

The waiting is pitiful.

I have to work in about 4 hours so they will have 12 hours without me staring at the incubator.
had a baby hatch out right before I left for work. The longest pipped one is out.

I about to start all over after losing my flock to CRD. I have a neighbour whose 10 year old loves incubating so she's going to do the hatch for me. Some friends very kindly donated some of their fertilized eggs, but I can't set them until next Sunday. I'm hoping they make it without too much loss. Her bator only holds 10 eggs.
Ohhhh, sweetie, I'm so sorry. ._. I'd just be gutted. Do you have eggs all set to go? If not maybe I can try to source you some free ones to help you get started again after such a tragic loss. PM me if you want me to try!
had a baby hatch out right before I left for work. The longest pipped one is out.
I'd call in if that happened to me, oh my goodness! I'm going crazy, I only removed the turner, like, three hours ago but I'm already hovering. I even heard a peep from outside but for a split second I jumped up thinking maybe one of them had just hatched freakishly early.

First one out! I've only noticed 2 other pips so far. This little guy was fast! She went from first pip to hatch in only about 9 hours. Yay!

Awesome, what are you hatching??

My broody's Serama eggs are due to hatch in the next 2 or 3 days or so...  I am glad to let her handle the hatch as I am feeling a bit spent.  I have 3 cases of spraddle leg in my peas hatched yesterday and 5 taped feet.  They are in berry boxes today... learning how to stand up and cheeping loudly : )   There sure is a lot of learning in this process!  I hope to get better at it.

Im hatching EE roo over my barred rock my rhode island red, 2 Delawares and 2 EE eggs. One from each of my hens :) the EEs just started laying in may and in June I hatched 4 chicks from my older girls :)
I just candled quick and 5/6 are all moving and healthy but the last one was a blood ring. Im hoping she gets a better hatch rate than I did in June! I had 4/8 hatch, one quit half way and 3 developed fully but couldn't hatch:/ rooting for my Broody! I hope im doing enough for her. She eats and dust bathes almost every morning :)

Back
Top Bottom