July Is Not My Month!!!! *Update page 2*

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Well at the beggining of July I had 15 Ducks.

I had to rehome 6 drakes due to the uneven ratio. I hand raised them all and I miss them.

That leaves me with 4 two month old girls , 3 six month old girls, my one year 2 m/o girl, and my 9 y/o drake. Thats four laying girls and four non laying girls.

Well Last week I lost my Black swed girl - a layer - and had her die in my arms. I didnt even have any of her eggs so I would have her kids
hit.gif

Then when I got home from shopping out yesterday it got worse.

I have an old car battery that I used to use to lock up my fence when I had goats, but I dont use that anymore. So wen i got home and saw it up against my gate I got a little suspicious. I went to check nd make sure no one was stolen or missing - and find that My 7m/o cayuga and my 9 y/o drake were injured.
The drake had multiple puncture wounds and bald spots. He was quiet and not up to walking. ( this is the drake who had his foot ripped to shreds by a turtle trap, so is already some what crippled - a rescue)

The cayuga was slow, and had some messed up feathers but other than that nothing. Im pretty sure my drake fought the attacker off so my cayuga could fly back over the fence.

I didnt find this until a guy came to look at my dad's cars. WHen Ibrought my drake to my dad so he could help me hold him while i checked him over - the guy said that earlier he had seen my neighbors lab with a duck in its mouth.
somad.gif

We have told them to keep the collars ON! they have an underground electric fence, but they refuse to keep the collars on!

This isnt the first time they have attacked my animals. Their dogs are responsible for two rabbits and another duck attack.

Next time those dogs are on my property They will leave limping. Im not allowed to shoot them but I will take and peice of two by four I can get my hands on.

Both ducks are in quarintine. Luckily I think My cayuga is just freaked and in shock. She layed me an egg this morning but she is still being quiet and not game to move around very quickly.
They survived the night! I just hope they can keep it up. I dont want to lose any more of my flock.

Last edited:
where do you live?, in the country or city?

what do you mean by "not allowed"?

by all technicalities, if you're in the country you ARE allowed to shoot whatever indangers your "livestock", wich ducks are considered, even dogs.

but if it's a city/parent thing, thats different.

I'm sorry about your ducks, but I'm glad they made it, I'm surprised the dog didn't break any bones, one time I had two dogs get into my small duck pen in WV, they tore my three ducks to SHREDS, every single bone in my calls bodies were broken.

I live in the country - but its a parent thing. They took away "my" gun. ( aka the one im not supposed to have but sometimes borrow from my dad for target practice. )

I have my compound bow and a BB gun, but I dont think those would be very good options.

the BB gun would give the dog a good sting in the bum!

just tell your parents you want to go have some "target" practice LMAO

we live out in the middle of nowhere too, but we're surrounded by neighbors, the neighbors back behind us have this big shepard mix dog thats ALWAYS running the woods, she's dug up dead chickens we've burried, ducks, even two cats!, they've got a big fenced in area that they claim if for their cat
th.gif
, hello?, they have a FENCE for a CAT, but let a 70-80 pound PEOPLE agressive dog run the woods?!

that dog is always staring at the ducks in their pen from the woods, I've been tempted to let our hound x pit off his lead one day just to see what he does LOL, he hates the neighbors dog.

Quote:
I've used a paintball gun on stray dogs before - you can get one pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. I'm too scared that a BB gun would actually break the skin and cause an injury - my grandparents rescued a dog from an Indian Reservation that had been shot all over his body with a BB gun, and had punctured in several places in his face and ears, resulting in the loss off a LOT of blood, the dog was found barely alive, lying in a ditch. He had to have some of the BB's surgically removed from his head
somad.gif

As long as you don't hit the dog in the eye, a paintball is a safe, quick way to teach the dog to stay the heck away. It's always worked for me - we had two lab mixes running loose around here a few years ago, and all it took was one incident with the paintball gun and we never saw those dogs again - the neighbors about a mile down the road did though - with streaks of pink paint stained on their sides
big_smile.png

I use paintball guns on anything that I think may have a home since they sting and if they do go home with paint on them their owners know that they ran into some unfriendly humans somewhere. The range on paintball guns is not long so I use the balls in a nice powerfull slingshot for longer range work. I usually only paint a dog twice before moving on to deadly force and use the SSS method from there. If they are found with ID I usually mail it back either to animal control (rabies tags) or owners if full address. No message, nothing that IDS me, but if they care enough to ID their pets I don't want them searching and wondering about them.

Hi GoatWalker, I had that happen to me too. My neighbor's dog killed my duck just for fun. It didn't eat it or anything. I found her dead in their yard. So I wrote them a letter and they put up extra fence to make sure that their dog wouldn't go into my yard anymore.

Have you ever thought about confronting the dog's owners? I would file a complaint with the city first and then tell the dog's owner that you also have a witness to their dog's attack. I think you should have a talk with the dog's owner first because it seems to be their lack of discipline that is causing a bunch of problems. Isn't there a law where you live that dogs have to be on leashes?

It doesn't matter whether you live in the city or in the country...that dog owner is responsible for everything that dog injures. So take those ducks to the most expensive vet you can find, get them doctored up, and send the owners the bill. They are required to pay for it.

Also, should a dog kill any livestock of yours (the ducks and even the rabbits can be considered livestock) the owner is responsible for THREE TIMES the value of the animal.

The dog owner is also responsible for any broken fences/holes/etc.

Just start sending these people bills for anything and everything you can think of that the dog did on your property....sometimes all that makes these people leash their dogs is having to shell out $$$$$.

Back
Top Bottom