July Online Mystery Hatching Egg Swap Now Closed

I have hatching baskets and a wire that goes over top of them so no escape artists and i know what came from what then.
I'd like to do something like that, too. I have a Hovabator, so not a whole lot of room, but I heard someone mention something about baskets used for keeping baby bottle nipples contained in a dishwasher? Is that right? What can I use?

I'd like to do something like that, too. I have a Hovabator, so not a whole lot of room, but I heard someone mention something about baskets used for keeping baby bottle nipples contained in a dishwasher? Is that right? What can I use?

I got mine from the dollar store 3 for $1. These look like mine but mine are smaller.

Last edited:
I got mine from the dollar store 3 for $1. These look like mine but mine are smaller.
Hmmmmm......I'll take a look at a dollar store and see if I can find some that would be small enough to fit into my Hovabator. I have some that I got at an office store, but I'm afraid the edges aren't high enough to keep Houdinis in
smile.png

Hmmmmm......I'll take a look at a dollar store and see if I can find some that would be small enough to fit into my Hovabator. I have some that I got at an office store, but I'm afraid the edges aren't high enough to keep Houdinis in
smile.png
I mentioned the dishwasher baskets. They come with lids attached. You can usually find them with the baby bottles or dishwashing supplies. The little baskets Jim & Michelle use can also be turned upside down over your eggs if need be. Just make sure they aren't touching the eggs so you still get air circulation & not too close to the heating element so they don't melt. You can also put a piece of screen or wire over the top to keep bouncing babies inside.

Personally, I don't use either. I separate my babies by breed between my bators (I have 5) for any breeds I may possibly confuse after hatch (example: if I have 2 red breeds & 2 black breeds hatching, 1 of each goes in each bator at lockdown so I end up with 1 breed of black chicks & 1 breed of red chicks in each bator at hatch...no confusion on what hatched from each batch that way) I also tend to stagger hatches so that each batch of eggs is a couple days apart & something is constantly hatching. If I only hatch say 4-12 eggs per batch then it's much easier to see what hatched & what didn't. I also use nail polish to put a dot of a different color for each breed on heads of any babies I may easily confuse before they go in the community brooder with everyone else..

Last edited:
I cut different size priority boxes and put something that is anti slip over the top. I know it isn't perfect, but it works for me. When it gets dirty, I cut a new one.

I cut different size priority boxes and put something that is anti slip over the top. I know it isn't perfect, but it works for me. When it gets dirty, I cut a new one.
I have tried something similar once before, I cut strips from boxes and made a little maize thru the incubator and put 1 egg in each section....(but I was on medical leave and had way to much time on my hands)

Back
Top Bottom