Jumbo peking with bowed legs

Stormiek

Chirping
Jul 8, 2021
We rescued what i can only imagine to be a jumbo peking duck (he is probably 2-3 times the size of our peking drake). We found him all by himself close to the road by a lake, im assuming abandoned. His legs are extremely bowed he has a lot of trouble walking and keeping up with out other ducks and he often stands on his own webs so they have (healed now) tears in them. His halks are also very swollen... he has been through an entire can of brewers yeast and right after we started him on nurtri-drench daily. So far he hasnt really gotten much better.. im just wondering is there is ANYTHING else i can do to help him have the happy duck life he deserves. Hes so sweet and gentle. Ive read that this breed in particular can be prone to these problems because they were genetically bred to grow much faster than their legs can support so they need constant niacin supplimentation (i think thats a word) in order to be healthy. Is there any way at all to reverse this??

You might be able to help. I'd start with 1mL of liquid super b complex poured on a treat. It can takes weeks for recovery and if he's in bad condition probably months.
Pekins are known for leg issues even when given a proper diet and plenty of niacin.

You might be able to help. I'd start with 1mL of liquid super b complex poured on a treat. It can takes weeks for recovery and if he's in bad condition probably months.
Pekins are known for leg issues even when given a proper diet and plenty of niacin.

Thank you so much i will start him on this ASAP either today or tomorrow if my tsc has it in stock. What treats would you reccomend? He normally wont eat anything unless he sees the other ducks eating it as well and some stuff he wont touch at all he does seem to like sweet peas and tomatoes though.

I know some people genuinely disgust me at times.

Thats big D (big duck) on the left resting his legs and paddling around with our other drake AJ. They get along suprisingly well actually. Although, we did keep him separated but close for the first couple weeks from the rest of our babes just to be sure. But he is honestly just SO darn sweet. And since they've gotten accustomed to each other there hasnt been a single problem. 💕💕💕💕

Attachments

• 16445256926068993658008972072619.jpg
    16445256926068993658008972072619.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 9
Thank you so much i will start him on this ASAP either today or tomorrow if my tsc has it in stock. What treats would you reccomend? He normally wont eat anything unless he sees the other ducks eating it as well and some stuff he wont touch at all he does seem to like sweet peas and tomatoes though.
Mealworms and corn are my ducks favorites. They are not big on peas and only like cherry tomatoes. 😁

Back
Top Bottom