jUMBO PEKINS prone to bad helath?

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
A BYC member told me that pekins are prone to bad heal, is this true
hmm.png
. I am planning on getting a jumbo pekin and a welsh harliquin but i want my pekin to live for a very long time. This is exactley what the byc member told me: I would stay away from jumbo pekins. There were bred to grow extremely fast so the industry saves money. The downside is bad joints and other health issues. You would have to restrain the food intake drastically while the duckling is growing to prevent the issues that are associated with extreme fast growth. Get a regular pekin duck instead. I really want a Jumbo but i dont want it to die young
sad.png

I used to have pekins, and i think they are prone to bad health because they are a meat breed. all mine died before they were 2 years old. I tried to restrict food intake but they still got joint issues. try your best though. good luck

The oldest pekin ( purebred and weighed just under 12 pounds at its heaviest) I ever had was 6 years old- still alive it was rehomed when I moved interstate- so I dont know how much longer it survived - but I have never encountered leg issues in any of mine. I currently have a pair of utility strain pekins who are about to turn 4 years old. Crumpet is a great layer and has gone broody often. I also have an Aylesbury- who is even heavier than a jumbo Pekin- and no leg problems either- so again... this is why the breeding behind the individual duck and bloodline is more important than the actual breed itself at times. Pekins are a lovely duck for so many reasons, they are also the most common, maybe a reason why it is so common to hear of problems with them- but all ducks breeds have good and bad points- just like dogs cats and many other animals as well.

There are many different strains of Pekin. Here in Australia - most sold are basically just a white duck ( I say this because to improve bloodlines they have been crossed with others breeds many times over generations to improve lines when they become inbred ) - but when compared to the official standards of the breed are nothing like what the pure bred Pekins are. If you really want a jumbo - do some research first into the breeding and strains from where you wish to purchase from. Find out if it really is the right breed for your needs. What qualities do the jumbo have that you like? Is there another breed that might suit just as well?? I would say this for anyone looking at a new breed of duck- not just for those wanting Jumbos. There are so many different breeds - that as long as you know the issues they may have- their good and bad qualities before you make your purchase - at least you know what you can expect and can make an informed decision. Gofasterstripe on here has a jumbo Pekin- I hope she sees this thread and can chime in with her experience with a jumbo.

I think there should be no reason why Jumbo Pekins shouldn't be fit and healthy like other ducks unless they aren't getting enough niacin in their food. Lack of it causes leg problems in any duck, but because Jumbos are bred to grow big fast they usually don't get the niacin they need. All you have to do is make sure you supplement their feed with niacin and you should be fine.

I have four Jumbos. They are awesome!
big_smile.png

I bought 2 pekin Ducklings last year and one dies of a respiratory problem, and the other had to be put down becasue his lag was fractured in two places. These are the most BEAUTIFUL ducks i think but it has ruined my experience and I dont want to try them again
sad.png

I think its the same with any breed of any kind of animals, they all have their good and bad points. BUT...If you have had a bad experiance with them then yes people will say oh well they had leg problems, mine were so big they couldnt do this or that or what ever. I love my JP, shes healthy runs..or should I say waddles round after her Runner sisters, yep..shes doesnt keep up but she is well fed on good food, she has her Niacin in her water along with vitamins. What more can you do. I will definatly get another JP if something was to happen to Sly, they are beautiful BIG WADDLING ducks and not every JP is the same, so dont drag them down just because you have had a bad experiance with them.
I say to the OP...get your Jumbo Pekin, you will enjoy her no end. Better still get 3...never a good idea to get just 2 ducklings, what if 1 dies, you then have to go find a buddy to keep him/her company. I only got 1 JP to be a sort of psudo Geese for my Runners. Sly now rules her flock with an iron fist and she wears the pants in her and Finns relationship.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom