June 1st Quilt Block Exchange

I have a 1/4" foot on my machine. All my inside seams are 1/4" but when it comes to the outside, if I have a variance of 1/8" then I lose that 1/8" allowance for my 1/4" outside seam. When that happens, sewing anything to some of these blocks with a 1/4" seam allowance will take the points off of some of the star's points. Aggravating! So, I'm making new blocks... 9 of them with slightly different fabrics. Hopefully I can get these done perfectly... haha !!

I see, those sneaky points strike again
big_smile.png
forgot about those.

I use blue painter's tape to mark 1/4 inch. It's easy to see and several pieces stacked on top of one another makes a slight stop for the fabric. It removes easily without leaving a sticky mess. That's what works for me. I have no good tips on squaring a block, it can be aggravating. I just try to keep all my cuts and seams as accurate as possible and keep fingers crossed that the blocks will turn out the right finished size. Good luck to everyone.

Hi Everyone,
I'm back from the Quilters' Guild of the British Isles AGM and haven't I missed a lot! Wow, just caught up on all your chat. Can I add my tuppence-worth to some of the topics?

Rotary cutters - If you are new to these you may not realise that you must cut away from you, not towards you as you could open up an artery in your leg if you are not careful. They are designed to cut away from you and are very easy to use this way. Also, you will get little nicks from time to time on the blades and they will become more blunt. There are sharpeners but I've not found them to be very good. Don't know what other people think. You will be amazed at the difference a sharp blade makes when you change it. There must be a You Tube video of using a rotary cutter.
Block sizes - the thickness of your thread makes a huge difference to how much is lost in each seam and this adds up if you are sewing by machine. So, if you are using cotton then you end up with a smaller block if there are a lot of seams. The problem with scanty 1/4 inch seams is that you will lose the points. The Quilt Police say you should use cotton thread but the really accurate big name quilters use polyester which is finer. I use Bottom Line which is the thinnest you can get and is intended for both the bobbin and the top thread! I do this because I had a workshop some years ago with Phillippa Naylor and she advised this. There is no evidence that polyester is going to damage the quilt in years to come. The cotton will disintegrate before it does but we'll be well dead before that happens, not even dust any longer, so its someone else's problem and is everything we make an heirloom?
Wow, that was a lot of typing. Will write another letter about recipes and the AGM in a little while.

Glad to be back with you all. M.

Block sizes - the thickness of your thread makes a huge difference to how much is lost in each seam and this adds up if you are sewing by machine. So, if you are using cotton then you end up with a smaller block if there are a lot of seams.

Thank you, majack! I had not even considered the size of the thread! I have been using Connecting Threads Essentials for quite some time, but recently had the chance to pick up a couple of spools of Aurifil. The Aurifil seems quite thin, but works absolutely wonderfully! I do think I'm going to have to get more of that!

There is actually a quilt show - MQX East [Machine Quilters Expo] - in my neck of the woods this weekend; it runs Thursday, Friday & Saturday. I'm looking forward to that tremendously! That is being held in Manchester, NH if anyone else is close enough to make it.

Last edited:
Well my sweety is on vacation til Monday now. Gonna try and practice here and there this week, then next week, I shall try the real thing!! He will keep me busy working outside while he's off though. We HAVE to finish the chicken house!! Still have to build nest boxes and perches, and we haven't even started the run, and my babies will be ready to go out in a week or 2!!! :( Weather and sick kiddos just hasn't cooperated. They sure do get stinkier and stinkier the bigger they get!! Lol But they are soooo entertaining! I can't wait to be able to watch them in their run where they have some room!! :)

Hi Everyone,
I'm back from the Quilters' Guild of the British Isles AGM and haven't I missed a lot! Wow, just caught up on all your chat. Can I add my tuppence-worth to some of the topics?

Rotary cutters - If you are new to these you may not realise that you must cut away from you, not towards you as you could open up an artery in your leg if you are not careful. They are designed to cut away from you and are very easy to use this way. Also, you will get little nicks from time to time on the blades and they will become more blunt. There are sharpeners but I've not found them to be very good. Don't know what other people think. You will be amazed at the difference a sharp blade makes when you change it. There must be a You Tube video of using a rotary cutter.
Block sizes - the thickness of your thread makes a huge difference to how much is lost in each seam and this adds up if you are sewing by machine. So, if you are using cotton then you end up with a smaller block if there are a lot of seams. The problem with scanty 1/4 inch seams is that you will lose the points. The Quilt Police say you should use cotton thread but the really accurate big name quilters use polyester which is finer. I use Bottom Line which is the thinnest you can get and is intended for both the bobbin and the top thread! I do this because I had a workshop some years ago with Phillippa Naylor and she advised this. There is no evidence that polyester is going to damage the quilt in years to come. The cotton will disintegrate before it does but we'll be well dead before that happens, not even dust any longer, so its someone else's problem and is everything we make an heirloom?
Wow, that was a lot of typing. Will write another letter about recipes and the AGM in a little while.

Glad to be back with you all. M.
M, thats a good point on the rotary cutter, away from you. I forget all the details on using them I have been using them since 1990 or so. I never thought about thread making a difference but very interesting. And yes everything I make is going to be a heirloom, ha the kids wouldn't have room for all the stuff I have made over the years.

Well my sweety is on vacation til Monday now. Gonna try and practice here and there this week, then next week, I shall try the real thing!! He will keep me busy working outside while he's off though. We HAVE to finish the chicken house!! Still have to build nest boxes and perches, and we haven't even started the run, and my babies will be ready to go out in a week or 2!!!
sad.png
Weather and sick kiddos just hasn't cooperated. They sure do get stinkier and stinkier the bigger they get!! Lol But they are soooo entertaining! I can't wait to be able to watch them in their run where they have some room!!
smile.png
When I put mine outside I would sit in the run and just watch them they are so darn funny and yes they do get stinker. I need to clean out my big coop but waiting till I get new litter I am going to put in sand heard it is much cheaper and easier to clean.

Hi Everyone,
I'm back from the Quilters' Guild of the British Isles AGM and haven't I missed a lot!  Wow, just caught up on all your chat.  Can I add my tuppence-worth to some of the topics?

Rotary cutters - If you are new to these you may not realise that you must cut away from you, not towards you as you could open up an artery in your leg if you are not careful.  They are designed to cut away from you and are very easy to use this way.  Also, you will get little nicks from time to time on the blades and they will become more blunt.  There are sharpeners but I've not found them to be very good.  Don't know what other people think.  You will be amazed at the difference a sharp blade makes when you change it.  There must be a You Tube video of using a rotary cutter.
Block sizes - the thickness of your thread makes a huge difference to how much is lost in each seam and this adds up if you are sewing by machine.   So, if you are using cotton then you end up with a smaller block if there are a lot of seams.  The problem with scanty 1/4 inch seams is that you will lose the points.  The Quilt Police say you should use cotton thread but the really accurate big name quilters use polyester which is finer.  I use Bottom Line which is the thinnest you can get and is intended for both the bobbin and the top thread!  I do this because I had a workshop some years ago with Phillippa Naylor and she advised this. There is no evidence that polyester is going to damage the quilt in years to come.  The cotton will disintegrate before it does but we'll be well dead before that happens, not even dust any longer, so its someone else's problem and is everything we make an heirloom?
Wow, that was a lot of typing.  Will write another letter about recipes and the AGM in a little while.

Glad to be back with you all.  M.

Haven't used ployester thread in quite some time, think I may have forgotten about it actually. I will pick some up and give it a go and see what happens. And I've never found a really good way to sharpen a rotary blade, I just replace it when starting a new project.

Back
Top Bottom