June 2020 Hatch Raise along

I think if I got into the brooder, I'd be mobbed by chicks!
20200611_102230.jpg

So today my Dominique started to sit/lay down on top of the heating plate, like she is in this picture (she's the one on the left). She's liked being up there for a while, but until today she was usually standing. She still spends a lot of time chasing the others away and flying down from there into the group of chicks on the ground. She's alert, active and moving well. Is there something wrong, or is she just enjoying being queen of the brooder plate?

IMG_20200611_165044.jpg

So today my Dominique started to sit/lay down on top of the heating plate, like she is in this picture (she's the one on the left). She's liked being up there for a while, but until today she was usually standing. She still spends a lot of time chasing the others away and flying down from there into the group of chicks on the ground. She's alert, active and moving well. Is there something wrong, or is she just enjoying being queen of the brooder plate?

View attachment 2189375
I would say she’s playing queen of the mountain. “Look at my peasants down there”

I would say she’s playing queen of the mountain. “Look at my peasants down there”

Hah! Thank you, that's what I was hoping was going on. It's going to be absolutely hilarious when they grow up and the littlest chicken is bossing around the Australorp and the Wyandotte that are three times her size!

Yours look like they had so much fun outside today! What a cool idea. It's still cold here, so I have to wait until next week.

Will post some pics when it gets acclimated to the others, but I received 1 single duck when I got my surprise box from Cackle Hatchery so my local feed store got some today and my DH just showed up on his lunch break with Jean a khaki to be friends with Billie my welsh harlequin so now my duck pair is Billie Jean, been singing MJ since my DH came home and had already named it.

Just out of curiosity, how old before splay leg really isn't a worry? I took the non slip mats out of the brooder this morning and they're all digging through the shavings down to the cardboard. They're 5 days old. I can put the mats back in for a few days if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom