June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Anytime I mess with any of my Duck's nest they don't like it. Some people can candle the eggs and such but mine try to bite something fierce and hiss. Once I get them off of the nest using something I can get the eggs if I don't want them to go broody. I guess it would be possible you touching the eggs would disturb her. It would just depend on the nature of that particular bird. Mine would be upset and probably leave the nest due to how their behavior is. That is how I have been able to stop my others from becoming broody. My Ducks that have this behavior are my Mallards and Muscovy. I was never able to catch them off of the nest to ever do anything with their eggs.

She definitely pecked me when I was placing the LF eggs. What I don't get is why it took her 9 days after that even to decide she's done with it. Oh well, she is a baby though, and those are really spontaneous with their hatching, so as long as she's healthy I can't be mad. I'm sure her or Ursula will try again soon. And for now, I'll shut up about my problems and cheer yalls on. And who knows, if @junior67 does a July hatch-along, I might be in it :p

She definitely pecked me when I was placing the LF eggs. What I don't get is why it took her 9 days after that even to decide she's done with it. Oh well, she is a baby though, and those are really spontaneous with their hatching, so as long as she's healthy I can't be mad. I'm sure her or Ursula will try again soon. And for now, I'll shut up about my problems and cheer yalls on. And who knows, if @junior67 does a July hatch-along, I might be in it :p
My first time Mallard hatched out 11 when she went broody at a young age. My Mallards are excellent Mothers though and are great at hatching out eggs. I had slipped a few other eggs under her before she went to sitting and she hatched it for me. I just don't know whose the Momma to that one. It is for sure my Black Swedish Call Drakes but the Mom could be any of several hens. Not my Mallard as her eggs are green and this one came from a white egg. Now to see if it ends up being a drake or a hen. Hoping for a Hen of course. Good luck with your thoughts on a July hatch.

Hoping it's a hen! Could it have been from a muscovy?
My first time Mallard hatched out 11 when she went broody at a young age. My Mallards are excellent Mothers though and are great at hatching out eggs. I had slipped a few other eggs under her before she went to sitting and she hatched it for me. I just don't know whose the Momma to that one. It is for sure my Black Swedish Call Drakes but the Mom could be any of several hens. Not my Mallard as her eggs are green and this one came from a white egg. Now to see if it ends up being a drake or a hen. Hoping for a Hen of course. Good luck with your thoughts on a July hatch.

Yes, my young white Muscovy had mud all over her back so I know she was being mated. The only thing that throws me off with that is it hatched at 28 days and Hinnies are supposed to take longer.
They claim that a Hinnie egg takes 32 days to hatch so I don't know if it is possible for one to hatch at 28 days or not. What would you think? I was not 100% sure when she started sitting but the two of the Mallards under her started hatching out at what I thought was 27 days and then the last Mallard looking one was what I thought was 28 days along with the Black Swedish looking one. I only have my Mallard/Rouen Drake in and my 4 Call ducks and one appears to be a Black Swedish like this duckling is where I am coming from. Also I have seen the Calls mating the Hens in my pen which I did not think would even be possible but where there is a will there is a way. LOL

Oh I really don't know, but I'd imagine since this is a hybrid, it could inherit more of the mallard genes?
I never looked at it that way but I think you are right, it could have I would think. Thanks, I don't need anymore ducklings but love the eggs and share with friends is why I was wanting a female. Those drakes can be hard on the hens and I surely don't need anymore of those. lol

I never looked at it that way but I think you are right, it could have I would think. Thanks, I don't need anymore ducklings but love the eggs and share with friends is why I was wanting a female. Those drakes can be hard on the hens and I surely don't need anymore of those. lol

Well then, hope it's a hen!

I was just outside doing duck chores. My Black Swedish looking duckling is getting a green head, that means boys for sure, anyone know??? My two Mallard ducklings are getting a green bill, means boys for sure! My last duckling has a chance yet because her bill is not green, keeping my fingers crossed. The two Runner Ducks still sound alike but are loud if I am doing anything at all in their pen so I have not given up totally on them. I am just soooooo good at hatching out BOYS!!!!!! If I had wanted boys they would have all been girls!!! LOL Someone is trying to tell me I have enough ducks and these babies need to find another home. lol It's good advice too.

Back
Top Bottom