June 2023 Hatch-a-long

So I have 6 eggs from a friend's flock in lockdown.. Inc says day 1.. so anytime now I should get pipping.. we have no idea what hen may have lay them as he has around 40 laying hens atm, however, hen options are RIR, saphire gem, what looks to be speckled Sussex, Jersey Giant and a few other types probably ly mixed.. dad's he has 17 roos roaming his yard.. he put 2 roos in with his ladies and I was surprised to find that 7 of the 8 eggs he gave me were fertile. One was a quitter. I have barely a clue what any of his roos breeds are. Assuming they are all mixed breeds except for a Jersey Giant he got last summer and I believe he was one of the roos. Other roo was def a mix.

Question: I am really wanted a SS. Will the SS gene be dominant or will the mixed breeds wash it out to a mix of speckles and something else? I am so beginner on genetics and honestly having a hard time grasping it so any help is appreciated

So I have 6 eggs from a friend's flock in lockdown.. Inc says day 1.. so anytime now I should get pipping.. we have no idea what hen may have lay them as he has around 40 laying hens atm, however, hen options are RIR, saphire gem, what looks to be speckled Sussex, Jersey Giant and a few other types probably ly mixed.. dad's he has 17 roos roaming his yard.. he put 2 roos in with his ladies and I was surprised to find that 7 of the 8 eggs he gave me were fertile. One was a quitter. I have barely a clue what any of his roos breeds are. Assuming they are all mixed breeds except for a Jersey Giant he got last summer and I believe he was one of the roos. Other roo was def a mix.

Question: I am really wanted a SS. Will the SS gene be dominant or will the mixed breeds wash it out to a mix of speckles and something else? I am so beginner on genetics and honestly having a hard time grasping it so any help is appreciated

You'll get really helpful replies if you post that here Post in thread 'The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ask-anything-to-nicalandia-thread.1509343/post-26917269

So Wednesday evening cane home to last buckeye and a mystery chick was supposed to be a clb but shes not a clb cute tho put 6 orloffs on lockdown 1 has hatched so far

Attachments

• 20230607_185701.jpg
    20230607_185701.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230607_185655.jpg
    20230607_185655.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 4
Glad I decided to take the eggs from the one nest. The second broody Muscovy has decided that she wants the babies the first one has. I think they may co-parent. So I took the eggs out and one was pipped and starting to zip!

It's in the incubator right now, with the others until I get a chance to check them out, and hopefully the little one will make it and I can put it in with the other ducklings.

Raising chicks indoors is one thing, ducklings is another. SO MESSY!

Glad I decided to take the eggs from the one nest. The second broody Muscovy has decided that she wants the babies the first one has. I think they may co-parent. So I took the eggs out and one was pipped and starting to zip!

It's in the incubator right now, with the others until I get a chance to check them out, and hopefully the little one will make it and I can put it in with the other ducklings.

Raising chicks indoors is one thing, ducklings is another. SO MESSY!

What about separating the muscovy hen with no ducklings and giving them the ones that are about to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom