June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
I don't know why I find this little white tail so adorable!

1686340319918.jpeg

Hi everyone, I have ducks eggs on day 23 and 2 of them are already moving/rocking. Should I put them into lockdown early, or at least stop turning now?

I'm so out of practice after taking a break for a few years haha

What breed? Call ducks and, for some weird reason, Magpie, have shorter incubation periods.

You can stop turning, it's actually not really needed within this period of time. Keep an eye on them and candle to see when they internally pip.

Good luck, let us know how it goes! And I want duckling pictures!!!

What breed? Call ducks and, for some weird reason, Magpie, have shorter incubation periods.

You can stop turning, it's actually not really needed within this period of time. Keep an eye on them and candle to see when they internally pip.

Good luck, let us know how it goes! And I want duckling pictures!!!
Oh sorry I forgot to mention, they're Welsh Harlequin and Golden Cascade. That's interesting to learn about Magpies though! I thought all Mallard-based breeds were about the same incubation period.

And thank you! That's what I thought about turning at this point but wasn't sure. Fingers crossed that these babies hatch well with their wonky air cells and we'll soon have pics to share of survivors of the post office.🤞

Oh sorry I forgot to mention, they're Welsh Harlequin and Golden Cascade. That's interesting to learn about Magpies though! I thought all Mallard-based breeds were about the same incubation period.

And thank you! That's what I thought about turning at this point but wasn't sure. Fingers crossed that these babies hatch well with their wonky air cells and we'll soon have pics to share of survivors of the post office.🤞
IKR? I have absolutely no idea why Magpie would have a shorter incubation, honestly. I've just read it in several places.

My Welsh Harlequins have always hatched out on Day 23, be it via incubator or hen.

I had to toss 2 more of my friend's LO mix eggs. I think I still have 10 going (some on day 10, some staggered.), plus some local eggs, due the same day. (I had more survive than I thought of the local ones.) I also have a stagger of the locals. One of the younger stagger (local eggs), I had in for 5 days, and saw a crack. I nail polished the crack. (I am not hot wax-y). I also put it in a paper egg cup holder with holes, incase it leaks. I will candle and if it dies early hopefully I can toss it before it does. I don't normally bother with a crack, but since it was developing I gave it a chance.
nai.PNG

naia.PNG

Last edited:
So good news, and some bad news.

Good news first, the eggs I removed yesterday and of which one was pipped/partially zipped, was assisted and hatched this afternoon.

1686445568240.jpeg

And in other good news, Dainty has apparently resumed mothering duties of her foster-ducklings. Which leads to the bad news. I can't find Little One, the one that had stolen the ducklings. I have no idea what happened, she's just... gone. 😢

Back
Top Bottom