June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Four keets hatched yesterday. More pips today. I think these will be the last of the guinea eggs in incubators for the year, as I've also got two broody guinea hens currently sitting on several eggs themselves.

Attachments

• 20230618_144100.jpg
    20230618_144100.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 7
Will this lil chick be able to zip with this gaping hole?

View attachment 3548105
Ok— something wasn’t sitting well with me. I rechecked the above egg and there is s bigger hole—no zipping. As I was putting egg back under the broody I watched her pecking the egg—hard! and she hit the baby. Baby is ok, BUT now I think broody made the hole- not the chick.
This broody killed chicks placed under her in April/ May after being persistently broody. I broke her after her murderous meltdown but she went broody again 3 wks later and here we are, do I gave her a chance to go the distance and hatch but I am fearful she will kill the chick. Hen is 13 months old, kind of top order and bullies her buddies.
Is this common behavior? I have two other eggs under her.
What should I do?

Ok— something wasn’t sitting well with me. I rechecked the above egg and there is s bigger hole—no zipping. As I was putting egg back under the broody I watched her pecking the egg—hard! and she hit the baby. Baby is ok, BUT now I think broody made the hole- not the chick.
This broody killed chicks placed under her in April/ May after being persistently broody. I broke her after her murderous meltdown but she went broody again 3 wks later and here we are, do I gave her a chance to go the distance and hatch but I am fearful she will kill the chick. Hen is 13 months old, kind of top order and bullies her buddies.
Is this common behavior? I have two other eggs under her.
What should I do?
I hit send on this thread and checked live camera. there was broody violently pecking and I see open egg. Ran and baby was pushed to side, bloody beak and toes, chirping. I took chick inside under my shirt while incubator warms to temp. I have 2 eggs I am taking.
I can’t believe this hen. I think I need to rehome her-4 dead, 1 attempted murder. I can’t have that.

Attachments

• IMG_2904.jpeg
    IMG_2904.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2906.jpeg
    IMG_2906.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2905.jpeg
    IMG_2905.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 7
I hit send on this thread and checked live camera. there was broody violently pecking and I see open egg. Ran and baby was pushed to side, bloody beak and toes, chirping. I took chick inside under my shirt while incubator warms to temp. I have 2 eggs I am taking.
I can’t believe this hen. I think I need to rehome her-4 dead, 1 attempted murder. I can’t have that.
In my world, that is a hard pass.
I don’t accept undue aggression towards the other birds in the group, or toward any people.

Again- assuming it isn’t just a pecking order scuffle (even though she was after the chicks- it could still be a pecking order issue)
IMO more likely a space issue or just an overly aggressive hen...
(Also, my opinion- remember what you paid for it 😂)

I don’t want their genetics to propagate, and I want to enjoy our flocks.
If they want to be a**holes, they will be on the table in short order 🙄

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom