JUNE 7TH Hatch date ~ looking for hatch buddies

I had to check and the 7th is our day. I have some BLRW I ordered from Ohio. 2 were broken, 2 had cracks, 10 were no good early so I am down to 12! Yikes!! They were so gorgeous. 8 will probably hatch and half will be roos. Chicken math! This is my 5th hatch but 2nd with shipped eggs. I have a 1588 I love and a still air LG I only used once.
I think I might candle tonight - just to see how they are progressing.
pop.gif

Denise

I hope you don't mind me joining in a little late....

I have 8 eggs in a homemade incubator and all are developing as they should (I started with 15). I set mine on the 19th, so my hatch date is the 9th. These are from a black-tailed white Japanese and an EE, both bantams.

Meet the parents, Colonel Sanders and Little Red.

85245_colonel_sanders_and_little_red.jpg

Hi Jeeves! I would love to hear about your experience with a broody. I tried giving my broodies a couple eggs to sit on, but one embryo died around day 7 and the other made it to day 18 and then died. My hens were really good about staying on the eggs and took turns out of the nestbox, so I'm not completely sure what happened. I suspect a neighborhood kid is responsible for the one that died early. I'm not blaming her, she just didn't know. She shook the egg a bit when I was candling, thinking she would be able to hear it. The other chick was fully formed, so I don't know why it didn't make it. I'm incubating this time, but will probably try the broodies again, next time they decide to sit.

I have 3 broody Silkie hens the first set is due the 7th... the second 2 are a week later...total of 10 eggs... I hope we get at least a 50% hatch servival...I love watching the new babies follow their momma around the yard...wonderful fuzz butts....

Quote:
She is being really good, she is a welsummer though and i am dubious about whether she is going to be a good mama, if not i will have a brooder ready just in case, but i have hope!!!
Candled today and 5/6 eggs are developing normally: Defined dark Shadow around top of egg with lots of veins etc. Im sorry to hear about your experience with a broody, i think a broody is the best way of rearing chicks, it just seems more natural.
thumbsup.gif

Hope all goes well!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!
wee.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
lol.png
smile.png

Candled last night....had to toss two. They werent fertile. But all others are fertile and growing. I am kinda leary of one. It is still alive but growing slower than the others. But it looks good so far, I have been leaving it alone. Just checking the temp and humidity. No opening except to candle and all that. I really want some chicks this time around. I am so excited I cant wait till the 4th then the 7th. Haha! How is everyone else doing?
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom