June hatch-a-long!

Pics
I have had trouble the last 2 batches at lock down.... I am thinking about doing something different this time, I have 3 hens trying to be broody so I think I will put the next batch of 5 chicken eggs under the broody at lockdown in a couple days. We will see if it improves my hatch

Well, we finally moved the broody hen. Poor thing. We didn't realize she was a bit bad off. Her comb is dry and the edge of it is much darker. It looks terrible :(

She got up and ate and drank, which she probably really needed. She did go and stand over the eggs I gave her but then turned around and decided to look around her new, temporary, home. It'll probably be a lot nicer for her as she won't have the other hens messing with her and she won't be as hot.

Hoping she takes the eggs! She's been broody for about 3 days less than I've have the eggs incubating so it's pretty perfect.

Edit: Just went and checked on her. She had stayed on the edge of the bin we put the nesting crate in. I gently took her off and set her so she could look into the crate where the 3 biggest eggs I had were. She walked in a squatted but didn't actually hunker down, but she also leave the crate so I'm thinking maybe! I really hope so!

Last edited:
So I took a look in my eggs tonight. Tomorrow is lock down for them. I only seen movement in a few. A lot of the eggs were too dark shelled to tell,I threw a couple of obvious bad eggs out,kept one with a substandard air cell and the ones that I could see through but wasn’t sure about I figure what the heck? Let’s see if they hatch but I don’t think I’m going to hatch a whole lot of eggs hatching this time unfortunately.

It's day 19 here now and we've gone into lockdown! All 5 looked good when I candled yesterday (even the cracked one that I fixed with wax) so everything crossed we get some chicks on Tuesday!

Annoyingly, the new broody house/run that was meant to arrive on Friday still hasn't arrived so I haven't been able to move my Dorking out of the main house yet.

So last night I folded a dish drainer mat and put it in the crate and put some bedding and the eggs on it. She really seemed to like that. Didn't have to coax her into the crate, lol. She still just squatted over them, but because she'd made angry noises at me when I first tried to remove the eggs and then when she went in after I put the mat in she turned instead if staying facing the back, I figured all was well.

Checked her this morning and she was sitting on them! Yay! Move successful! She also appears to be much happier. Her comb had turned a purple/red at the tips and was just looking awful but now the normal red color is returning and it doesn't look so bad.

When I gave her more food she came right out to eat and drink. My sister was having to take her off the nest each day before.

The brown stuff in her water is food she managed to toss in. And she was all puffed up when I came in but as soon as she saw my phone pointed at her she got real curious. She and the other white one are very curious, lol.

20180603_124735.jpg

So last night I folded a dish drainer mat and put it in the crate and put some bedding and the eggs on it. She really seemed to like that. Didn't have to coax her into the crate, lol. She still just squatted over them, but because she'd made angry noises at me when I first tried to remove the eggs and then when she went in after I put the mat in she turned instead if staying facing the back, I figured all was well.

Checked her this morning and she was sitting on them! Yay! Move successful! She also appears to be much happier. Her comb had turned a purple/red at the tips and was just looking awful but now the normal red color is returning and it doesn't look so bad.

When I gave her more food she came right out to eat and drink. My sister was having to take her off the nest each day before.

The brown stuff in her water is food she managed to toss in. And she was all puffed up when I came in but as soon as she saw my phone pointed at her she got real curious. She and the other white one are very curious, lol.

View attachment 1415616
She's so cute! <3

Broodies 2 and 3 have finished hatching their clutches. Sadly, another hen tried to steal broody 2's nest mid- hatch and smothered one of the call duck babies before I could move her to the brooder box :hitThat little polish is actually hiding 5 chicks under her, in addition to the duck you can see :)

Attachments

• 20180602_192010.jpg
    20180602_192010.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 8
  • through broodies 2 6.3.2018 003.jpg
    through broodies 2 6.3.2018 003.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 8
  • through broodies 2 6.3.2018 039.jpg
    through broodies 2 6.3.2018 039.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Back