June hatch-a-long!

Pics
We have a pip!

20180605_103022.jpg

Just an update since yesterday was candle day.

Took out the other 4 eggs that I hadn't been too sure about on day 10. That makes 8 eggs gone. Four not fertilized, four that didn't continue growing. Have 14 eggs left and 3 of them are under the hen who is continuing to be a wonderful broody, though I worry she hasn't really pooped at all. What she has done has been incredibly small. Made her a scrambled egg to entice her to eat and give her some nutrients.

I decided to crack open the eggs that didn't make it. I'd never seen an embryo in real life. They had all died at different stages. The biggest one was a little bigger than a quarter and you could see the little feathers that had started to grow :(

All the others looked great, as far ad I could tell. They all had movement in them, especially #4 who has been the most active. My 2 smallest eggs are also pretty active and I really hope they'll hatch okay.

Yeaaa, June 5th is finally here! I did a final candling last night on incubator 1, of the 40 eggs I put in I still had 35 babies moving for lockdown that starts today. Already saw eggs moving last night. I hope I got everything right for this hatch. I have my humidity up to 73 and temp to 99. It is a still air incubator so I have been running between 100 and highest was 102. Kept my humidity between 20 and 40, that was hard to do with all the rain we had and very high humidity days. I ran the incubator up to now as a dry incubation. The air cells looked good. As for Incubator 2, it does not go into lockdown until June 8th but so far it is looking good also. There are 35 eggs that still have movement and hopefully, when I do my last candling on them we go into lockdown with all 35, the turkey eggs I put in there about 5 days ago and will transfer them over to incubator 1 when the hatch in incubator 1 is done and cleaned. IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1851.JPG

My 1st broody still isn't leaving the nest on her own. So, I have been moving her myself then letting her back in.

I took this picture today.

received_601953966858201.jpeg

By the looks of the eggs, I have 1 OEGB, 1 Welsummer, 1 RSL, and 4 Wyandottes. I candled last night and things look good. We seem to be on schedule for a hatch a week from now.

At this point I am going to put a hamster bottle on the box door and close the door. I don't believe I will be removing her from the nest in case the bantam egg pips early.

The eggs in the incubator are doing well so far.

The second broody is also refusing to leave her nest. She is in a larger nest box so I am thinking about putting a food dish in for her for the mornings. I don't want to draw in ants I would only leave it a short time.

If I do this I will add a hamster bottle on the door and close it too.

One thing I love about pet carriers as nest boxes. They are easy to maintain a private space for the lockdown period.

Just an update since yesterday was candle day.

Took out the other 4 eggs that I hadn't been too sure about on day 10. That makes 8 eggs gone. Four not fertilized, four that didn't continue growing. Have 14 eggs left and 3 of them are under the hen who is continuing to be a wonderful broody, though I worry she hasn't really pooped at all. What she has done has been incredibly small. Made her a scrambled egg to entice her to eat and give her some nutrients.

I decided to crack open the eggs that didn't make it. I'd never seen an embryo in real life. They had all died at different stages. The biggest one was a little bigger than a quarter and you could see the little feathers that had started to grow :(

All the others looked great, as far ad I could tell. They all had movement in them, especially #4 who has been the most active. My 2 smallest eggs are also pretty active and I really hope they'll hatch okay.

That's a shame about the ones that stopped developing :( but great that you've got the 14 going strong, fingers crossed for lots of little chicks!

Yeaaa, June 5th is finally here! I did a final candling last night on incubator 1, of the 40 eggs I put in I still had 35 babies moving for lockdown that starts today. Already saw eggs moving last night. I hope I got everything right for this hatch. I have my humidity up to 73 and temp to 99. It is a still air incubator so I have been running between 100 and highest was 102. Kept my humidity between 20 and 40, that was hard to do with all the rain we had and very high humidity days. I ran the incubator up to now as a dry incubation. The air cells looked good. As for Incubator 2, it does not go into lockdown until June 8th but so far it is looking good also. There are 35 eggs that still have movement and hopefully, when I do my last candling on them we go into lockdown with all 35, the turkey eggs I put in there about 5 days ago and will transfer them over to incubator 1 when the hatch in incubator 1 is done and cleaned. View attachment 1417801View attachment 1417802View attachment 1417803

Ooo exciting times! Posts like this are making me want a bigger incubator, I can only fit 7 eggs in mine!

Oh my gosh! I’m am such a rookie you guys. :( I forgot to move my eggs to the hatching tray. One tried but dried out. I am so mad at myself right now. I moved them as quickly as possible but I probably messed everything up.

Back
Top Bottom