June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Speaking of dirty...

I forgot to mention in my candling post yesterday that one egg had a black spot inside. It was moving freely around inside and appeared to be maybe a typical bloodspot you find in an egg from barnyard flocks.
I noted which egg it was and will monitor it closely.

Anyone know if it might affect the embryo/chick development?

One of my silkie eggs I hatched in April had a pretty decent sized black spot floating around in it too. I decided to just mark the egg and keep an extra close eye on it. It ended up hatching a completely healthy chick!

BTW I've settled on a name for my duckling: Meatball.
I was watching the launch coverage (Flight got scrubbed) and posting on twitter while it was happening. Someone said it looked like a little meatball. Which was fitting because there was a running joke about meatball NASA vs Worm NASA.
So Meatball it is.
meatball.jpg

Awww...Meatball is adorable!! :love

My kiddo and I were watching the launch too. I was pointing out how different this rocket was compared to human launches in the past and telling kiddo how I'd been on that stretch of beach as a kid and got to see a launch. Kiddo was actually interested.
Or good at acting...

I recandled the questionable eggs from yesterday and am so glad I did.
It's 4 & 1/2 days now and on a couple I could see what looked like 3 day olds. Just like yesterday's candling. I'm guessing those will be late hatchers.

On the thicker shelled eggs I could see veining now, yay! One rather dark egg has what looks like a darker blob inside and I can't see veins. I don't know if the blob is really dark or the extra pigment is making it look dark, but something is certainly in there.
Only 2 appear clear/infertile at this point. I left them though, for now.

Just for fun I grabbed a couple that I knew were good and the difference from yesterday to today is amazing. I can see itty bitty eyes!

Last edited:
I candled my 7 BCM eggs last night on Day 7 and man are they hard to see anything in aside from the air cell. I believe 5 of the 7 are developing - looks like two clears, which I will leave in there for now to make sure. Ironically the two clears are my two lightest coloured eggs. Phew. I will candle again at Day 14 to see if it's any more obvious which are developing.

Back
Top Bottom