June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Stucky #2 made it out no worse for wear and is bumbling around, but #1 isn't doing so hot. Anything else I can do about the glued down piece of dried up membrane? It hasn't softened at all and the poor bub is trying to move around but failing miserably. Can't tell if it's also a wry neck, or just weak and tired from being stuck so long, but I've set it in a cup for now because it keeps flopping onto it's back and getting stuck on the membrane like a turtle shell. At least this way it can stay right side up and rest.
I would run slightly warm water over it until the membrane softened enough to come off. If needed I'd add a drop or two of Dawn. I would do whatever it took me to free the chick, whether it involved a few careful snips with scissors or a bath and gentle scrub with a toothbrush, etc. After the wetting I would gently towel it off a bit and put it back into the incubator to dry. TBH, I don't know if this is right, but doing nothing isn't working well at all, so unless something better comes along, this is what *I* would do. You think it over and, absent better ideas from elsewhere, figure out how to at least try and help your little guy.

I see
I would run slightly warm water over it until the membrane softened enough to come off. If needed I'd add a drop or two of Dawn. I would do whatever it took me to free the chick, whether it involved a few careful snips with scissors or a bath and gentle scrub with a toothbrush, etc. After the wetting I would gently towel it off a bit and put it back into the incubator to dry. TBH, I don't know if this is right, but doing nothing isn't working well at all, so unless something better comes along, this is what *I* would do. You think it over and, absent better ideas from elsewhere, figure out how to at least try and help your little guy.
I see @CluckNDoodle has also offered some suggestions, less "heroic" (risky) than mine. Do try that first.

:hit:hit:hit

my baby died last night. I tried to feed her again at midnight and she didn’t want to eat. I put her in her carrier for five minutes while I let the dogs out and when I came back to get her she was gone.

what a poor turn of events I started to feel really good about it yesterday. It’s too late in the season to get another one, I hope nothing happens to another one because then I’d only have one. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I'm so sorry. :hugs

Uh-oh. Is this going to be a problem? It's only about day 18.5 give or take. She also appears to have pipped in the wrong end of the egg.

Attachments

• 20200602_170831.jpg
    20200602_170831.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 10
Here is the chicken gossip of the day,
mahn.PNG

My hen Oli was fostering some chicks I hatched out, she got them at one month old and watched them til recently (about 4 months old), the little LO tried to get a snuggle today, and Oli chased him off. I kinda felt bad, but she either wants to lay eggs again or raise more little chicks. She also likes to sit. I don't want to encourage anything but laying now. She is BCM/AC.

Back
Top Bottom