June Hatch a Long

So now I have a broody silkie... She has 6 eggs now. Wondering if she'll take any o the ones that the other girls lay today. How long can I allow her to take more eggs? Until she says she's full?
My experience is that a few days will work. she just needs to be able to cover them easily.........Good Luck.
You'll have one happy hen...................
big_smile.png

I'm very new to this and still don't fully understand what I'm seeing when I candle my eggs but I think I have a double yolker, or it got scrambled some how.

:-( getting close to veins, guess we will see who is really fertile then.
First, Welcome...................
smile.png

If you go to BYC search and type in how to candle.....you'll find pictures that will help you............................

OK, you'll are gonna have to hold my hand!

PLEASE!

I hate the inevitable deaths that happen when I incubate, it just breaks my heart to have a chick start to pip, or almost pip, or get all the way out and have something wrong and then not make it.

But, due to insanity.. I am going to start a bunch of eggs Monday or Tuesday.

A dog busted into my chicken coop (the coop, not the run) and killed every single chicken I had. In my chick order to replace my girls, I couldn't get ANY Welsummers or Marans to replace the ones I had lost (sheesh those breeds are becoming popular), so that is what I will be hatching. It turns out a lady in town has Black Copper Marans fertile eggs for pretty cheap. I haven't even asked her how dark her eggs are, anything is better than nothing, and they are cheap enough that I am happy to try them out, especially since I don't have to pay for, or worry about, viability due to shipping (or horid shipping cost for that matter).

The incubator I am using is over 17 years old, but I cleaned it all up, and it is holding temps well..... I still need to twiddle with humidity until I am happy. Oh, the last time I used the incubator was just a few years back.

OK, there is my super long intro!

welcome-byc.gif
June Hatch-a-long!! We love new peeps to share in the joy (and heartache) of hatching our favorite breeds (or whatever we can get our hands on...)
ya.gif

I just set 25 Serama eggs out of 4 different pens (4 roos, 5 pullets) for a June 8th hatch date. I am pretty excited since most of these are out of pairs and a trio I've never set eggs from before. Can't wait to see what I get, since Seramas can throw a rainbow of babies in one clutch of eggs :D Go BABIES go!!

I just set 25 Serama eggs out of 4 different pens (4 roos, 5 pullets) for a June 8th hatch date. I am pretty excited since most of these are out of pairs and a trio I've never set eggs from before. Can't wait to see what I get, since Seramas can throw a rainbow of babies in one clutch of eggs :D Go BABIES go!!

See, now I am gonna have to look up Seramas! Cant think at all what they look like.

Can you post some pics of your pairs?

OK, you'll are gonna have to hold my hand!

PLEASE!

I hate the inevitable deaths that happen when I incubate, it just breaks my heart to have a chick start to pip, or almost pip, or get all the way out and have something wrong and then not make it.

But, due to insanity.. I am going to start a bunch of eggs Monday or Tuesday.

A dog busted into my chicken coop (the coop, not the run) and killed every single chicken I had. In my chick order to replace my girls, I couldn't get ANY Welsummers or Marans to replace the ones I had lost (sheesh those breeds are becoming popular), so that is what I will be hatching. It turns out a lady in town has Black Copper Marans fertile eggs for pretty cheap. I haven't even asked her how dark her eggs are, anything is better than nothing, and they are cheap enough that I am happy to try them out, especially since I don't have to pay for, or worry about, viability due to shipping (or horid shipping cost for that matter).

The incubator I am using is over 17 years old, but I cleaned it all up, and it is holding temps well..... I still need to twiddle with humidity until I am happy. Oh, the last time I used the incubator was just a few years back.

OK, there is my super long intro!

Wohoooo Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

My heart just breaks for you, losing your flock!
hugs.gif

We will hold your hand!

Wohoooo Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

My heart just breaks for you, losing your flock!
hugs.gif

We will hold your hand!

thanks oodles.... one of the reasons I like BYC so much, sweet and caring folks.

Yep, it was tough, the kid's favorite was lost, as well as my best ever in my life broody. The broody was a cuckoo Marans. I got three white Cochins (hatchery) and I am hoping that one of them becomes a broody. I just love it when the mama hen does all the work! :D

All the babies I have now were from a hatchery hatched the first week of April (10 bantams and 14 LF)... and now I am gonna try 12 to 20 eggs in the incubator. The lady has 3 (or did she say 4?) hens, and I am getting most of their eggs over 5 days of lay, so we shall see how many I get, that is obviously up in the air. The ladies don't ever tell us what they are planning, do they?

thanks oodles.... one of the reasons I like BYC so much, sweet and caring folks.

Yep, it was tough, the kid's favorite was lost, as well as my best ever in my life broody. The broody was a cuckoo Marans. I got three white Cochins (hatchery) and I am hoping that one of them becomes a broody. I just love it when the mama hen does all the work! :D

All the babies I have now were from a hatchery hatched the first week of April (10 bantams and 14 LF)... and now I am gonna try 12 to 20 eggs in the incubator. The lady has 3 (or did she say 4?) hens, and I am getting most of their eggs over 5 days of lay, so we shall see how many I get, that is obviously up in the air. The ladies don't ever tell us what they are planning, do they?

Of course they dont tell, that would ruin the surprise everyday! I see you are from Alaska!

Back
Top Bottom