June Hatch-A-Long

I checked USPS and my Lavender Orpington eggs will deliver tomorrow. Any advice/tips on hatching shipped eggs? This is my first time. Thanks!

I'm getting more confused and worried the more i'm reading about what to do at lock down! Some sites say raise the humidity at lockdown on day 18, others say to raise it after the first eggs have pipped, others say you need to have the water surface area covering at least half the floor. I'm really confused!! At lock down on Sunday i added two more saucer sized trays of water to the one i had already in there. Then today i was reading about having to cover half the floor space so i added another two. But now i'm worried it's too much water because my eggs were moving a lot last night and this morning but not so much this evening. I'v just removed two trays of water, leaving three still in there, and i very quickly candled one egg that was moving a lot yesterday and i can see it's alive so hopefully they're all still ok. I don't know how much water to put it. One thing i was reading said that you can't have too much water at hatching, it's too little that causes problems. What should i do?? None of my eggs have pipped yet, tomorrow is day 21.

I checked USPS and my Lavender Orpington eggs will deliver tomorrow. Any advice/tips on hatching shipped eggs? This is my first time. Thanks!

A couple of days before your eggs arrive set your bator. Make sure its clean and working proper. Be sure it is maintaining proper, consistent Temperature and humidity for the kind of eggs you are incubating.

upon recieving the eggs what I do is I let them sit for a day in the house before setting them I under a hen (or in a bator). This is because they might have been rattled about during shipping and it allows the air sac to return to its normal position. Make sure you place them pointy side down in room temp. After a day place them into your preheated incubator. Turn them by hand or by an automatic turner 3 or 4 times daily. I think you know what to do next. Good luck!

I've got 2 hatched so far and 6 more under a broody hen. I'm also saving up another dozen chicken eggs and 8-10 duck eggs to put under 2 more broody Buff Orpingtons that are sitting on NOTHING right now and won't move. Can't wait!!

Im a little late to the party too. I have 8 eggs in a hoverbator. They are Icelandic eggs I picked up locally.
I candled them on day 7 and could see the dark eye moving around in 5 out of 8 of them! Very very cool!
They should hatch Sunday June 15th or Monday June 16th.

We have three babies so far :)

Silkie was at day 23, two of her eggs were early quitters and the third was peeping. I had brought a chick that hatched in the incubator yesterday and traded her for her egg. I didn't know it was peeping until the trade was over. She sat right on that chick, no problem at all! Checked on her a couple hours later and they were snuggling happily :)

Put the peeping egg in the bator with the other 4 eggs/2 chicks. Day 21 started at 6pm, so hopefully the rest will hatch soon!!

Is it bad for the chicks to be bumping into the eggs so much? These chickies are very rambunctious!

Back
Top Bottom