June Hatch-A-Long

So I have two broodys right now. Gloria is on day 12 with six viable and one questionable. Lexington is on day 7. She started with 4 but one wasn't fertile, one got broken and one cracked very badly. When I candled tonight the cracked on was no good. So Lexi is down to one with good veining.
Should I let lexi keep her one or should I give her new ones? Is it OK for a broody to only have a single egg? What do you guys think?

Im a little late to the party too. I have 8 eggs in a hoverbator.  They are Icelandic eggs I picked up locally.
I candled them on day 7 and could see the dark eye moving around in 5 out of 8 of them!  Very very cool!
They should hatch Sunday June 15th or Monday June 16th.

I feel a little late too. Mine are due June 19th. I set 20 blue black splash ameraucana eggs and 7 creme legbars and 20 quail. I candled a bunch on the 3rd day and they looked like they were developing at different rates. So hopefully it was just too soon, so I'll wait til 7 days.

Hi everyone!

Well today is the day, day 21, and still no external pipping but this morning i can hear some faint chirping so i think it's going to be soon!

I have a question - my eggs were all wobbling when they went into lock down and now they're not, as far as i can tell, is that normal? Should i be worried?

Well first the chickens get into position to hatch, thus the wobbling. Then they hatch out. So just hang in there. Chicks seem to do everything one part at a time then take a break. So you're good. Next they'll work on pipping. Then they'll zip. Then they'll hatch

Hi guys!

I now hear pecking along with chirping!! And i think it's coming from one of the eggs that has not been wobbling - i just saw it wobble slightly now along with pecking and chirping sounds
big_smile.png
Just waiting anxiously for that first external pip!!

And i just got back from the market with my friend. We took the kids to see the animals for sale and my friend ended up buying two baby chicks! She's going to keep them a few weeks then give them to me. She wanted to give me them after a couple of days and just stick them in with my chicks but i was worried about quarentining them, i don't want to risk infecting my babies, i'v put too much effort into these eggs! They're cute though, one is all yellow and the other is black/white/brown.

My last four eggs are still in the incubator. They were due the 1st. I candled them an I saw movement but yesterday I came home and we had lost power at sometime during the day. I quickly checked them & I didn't see any movement and the incubator temp was at 84 degrees. I'm gonna wait till tomorrow to see what happens. I told my husband I just don't want to throw them away incase they are alive.

I will be setting 20 pekin duck eggs next. Can anyone tell me do I have to run with the humidity higher during incubation or just at lock down?

Well first the chickens get into position to hatch, thus the wobbling. Then they hatch out. So just hang in there. Chicks seem to do everything one part at a time then take a break. So you're good. Next they'll work on pipping. Then they'll zip. Then they'll hatch
Thanks for the reasurance! I'm probably just being overly paranoid, but this is my first time and i'm really suprised they've made it this far! lol and the more i'v read the more worried i'v become, I'v done so many things wrong but now i can hear chirping and pecking so i think they're going to be alright! Fingers crossed!! I'll keep you updated ........
big_smile.png

Thanks for the reasurance! I'm probably just being overly paranoid, but this is my first time and i'm really suprised they've made it this far! lol and the more i'v read the more worried i'v become,  I'v done so many things wrong but now i can hear chirping and pecking so i think they're going to be alright! Fingers crossed!! I'll keep you updated ........:D

Don't worry. Other bycers can also get paranoid. Like me for example. My hatch will be about %15 from 84 shipped eggs. I am so paranoid that the babies that made it into lockdown won't hatch.... Hatches never get easier but the babies that make it ,make it worth it :)

Don't worry. Other bycers can also get paranoid. Like me for example. My hatch will be about %15 from 84 shipped eggs. I am so paranoid that the babies that made it into lockdown won't hatch.... Hatches never get easier but the babies that make it ,make it worth it
smile.png
Yes, I'm reading all these stories about how they make it to lock down then die before hatching - that doesn't help! So because i never saw them moving much i was thinking have they died? If i don't get at least some baby chicks out of this my husband's not going to let me waste more electricity on another hatch! But if it works then i might look into buying a proper incubator. Right now all I've got is a light bulb sellotaped in a cupboard - I'm really surprised I've got this far!

Yes, I'm reading all these stories about how they make it to lock down then die before hatching - that doesn't help! So because i never saw them moving much i was thinking have they died? If i don't get at least some baby chicks out of this my husband's not going to let me waste more electricity on another hatch! But if it works then i might look into buying a proper incubator. Right now all I've got is a light bulb sellotaped in a cupboard - I'm really surprised I've got this far!
I lost my first batch at 10 days or so. I've got a brooder lamp hanging in a cooler, with a 100watt bulb

Back
Top Bottom